• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Odd Weapons

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Mancatcher!

images

radja

First Post
I like slings of all kinds, and they're not that odd. There is 1 sling that isn't used very often in DnD: the staffsling. I really hope the staffsling gets stats in 5e so it gets the love it deserves.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Slings are great weapons.

As for the RW common weapons being unusual in-game, I don't thnk that has quite as much to do with the game system as to the RW reasons why those weapons were common and how that interacts with the non-mechanical parts of the game.

Many common weapons were common because they were inexpensive. Couple that with the laws restricting ownership of certain weapons to specific social strata, professions, and the like. (And other factors as well...)

By and large, FRPG characters don't have to deal with being too poor to buy gear, or with social restrictions on weapon ownership- players are free to model their PCs as they see fit.

MJS

First Post
Its imo quite sad that many common weapons which saw heavy use in history are categorized as odd here. D&D simply does not enough to differentiate between weapons or even give them a reason to exist.
The original games give reason a-plenty. The AD&D charts muddied things, but I am finding it extremely easy to use simplified weapon vs. armor types IMC.
Give weapons designed to defeat plate armor a bonus vs. plate.
Allow flails to negate shield bonus.
One-handed swords are at a disadvantage vs. heavy armor.
and etc.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of the quarterstaff and the double-bladed staff.

I had a 2e Drow Fighter/Mage using a Mace and a Rod of Smiting as paired weapons once.

I have yet to have a character dual-wielding kukri, sickles or khopesh swords, but I did see a half-vampire character do so with kama in a d20 modern game I ran.

Halfling + Battle Axe = hilarious.

I think one of the strangest weapons I had was a Disk Crossbow from a really old Dragon magazine (might have been 1e, maybe 2e). It shot flattened metal disks instead of bolts.

I also have yet to make a scourge-focused character.

darrell_uk

Explorer
Quarterstaffs are great weapons for 2-weapon-fighting rangers, 'specially as you can easily switch to two-handed use for opportunity attacks.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Two weapons that really scare me: The Falchion and the Scythe.

The Falchion is a tremendously efficient weapon, with it's high critical and adding 1.5 times your STR modifier to damage.

The Scythe has a x4 critical multiplier! On a two handed weapon! Madness!!! Plus, you look like the Grim Reaper (just kidding, I know that this is actually the "War Scythe variety, with the curved blade. But that image is just too powerful).

Derren

Hero
The Scythe has a x4 critical multiplier! On a two handed weapon! Madness!!! Plus, you look like the Grim Reaper (just kidding, I know that this is actually the "War Scythe variety, with the curved blade. But that image is just too powerful).

Which is imo silly. War scythes were still just farming tools converted to weapons and should not be better at anything than a real polearm (Glaive, etc).

Remove ads