• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Potions

Korak

First Post
Here's the deal. I am playing a 23rd level roguish type with excellent an UMD modifier, a staff of healing, wings of flying, and 2 items with 10 rounds of haste per day. So I don't really need much in the way of healing potions, fly potions, or haste potions. I have 10,000 gp to spend on potions and I am soliciting ideas for how to spend it. My combat style is thrown and melee daggers. I haven't ever used many potions, so I welcome fresh input from the community. If you want/need more information about my character, just ask.

Thanks ahead of time for the ideas,

Korak

Ciaran

First Post
For combat purposes, you can't go wrong with a few potions of displacement. Potions of protection from evil or shield of faith will provide some more extra AC and are dirt cheap. And if you're into the rogue-style sneaking around, you'll want some potions of pass without trace.

Korak

First Post
I like Displacement and Pass Without Trace a lot. Great suggestions. The other two are not as useful I'm afraid since I already have a +5 deflection bonus... but of course, you didn't know that. I hadn't considered Displacement as a potion, thanks.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
What kind of magic daggers do you normally wield? You may be able to get some use of oils to augment them. For instance, oils of align weapon are useful when you need to penetrate DR that your dagger normally can't handle, and oils of flaming weapon (or similar) are useful when fighting regenerating creatures.

Don't dismiss protection from evil so quickly. It may not increase your deflection bonus, but it will completely protect you from mind control, for the insanely low price of 50 gp/minute. It's indispensible when you're fighting certain types of enemies.

Personally, I always carry one potion each of gaseous form and water breathing. Between them, they can get you out of a wide variety of deadly predicaments.

I also like to keep a loadout of condition cures. You may want to pick up the ones your staff does not cover: remove curse, remove paralysis, remove fear, etc.

szilard

First Post
Oil of Bless Weapon - nice effect to have on-hand

Barkskin - if you don't have an enhancement bonus to natural armor

Blink - the poor man's passwall (plus, defense, see-ethereal, and quasi-ghost-touch)

Oil of Shrink Item - many, many uses

Water Breathing - if you need it, you need it

-Stuart

Listen to AuraSeer for he speaks wisely. ;)

I would also suggest some potions of Invisibility, although at 23rd level there may be a lot of creatures that can see or detect invisible creatures one way or another.

Olaf the Stout

Korak

First Post
Ahh... oil of shrink item = money =) Even a portable hole fills up sometimes.

invis, water breathing, and natural armor are covered by other items... have wand of gaseous form

Good points on Pro Evil, Blink, and fix-em-up potions. Remove curse is essential, and the others would be nice if hero's feast gets dispelled (as it often does).

Oils might be good too, I'm not sure how all that would interact. We're using rules from the Book of Immortals. I have an artefact dagger that bestows it's properties on all mundane daggers within 30'. So I just throw masterwork daggers that pick up the artefacts properties. I wonder if that would still work if I coated the daggers in oils.

Excellent suggestions, all. Thank you.

javcs

First Post
Korak said:
Ahh... oil of shrink item = money =) Even a portable hole fills up sometimes.

invis, water breathing, and natural armor are covered by other items... have wand of gaseous form

Good points on Pro Evil, Blink, and fix-em-up potions. Remove curse is essential, and the others would be nice if hero's feast gets dispelled (as it often does).

Oils might be good too, I'm not sure how all that would interact. We're using rules from the Book of Immortals. I have an artefact dagger that bestows it's properties on all mundane daggers within 30'. So I just throw masterwork daggers that pick up the artefacts properties. I wonder if that would still work if I coated the daggers in oils.

Excellent suggestions, all. Thank you.

If it wouldn't affect the other daggers, then put the oils on the artifact, that is, if it bestows the properties in effect on it to you other daggers, not just a list of its abilities that are bestowed.

Remove ads