• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Setting of All Time?

Favorite All-time Setting?

• Birthright

Votes: 27 7.5%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 30 8.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 21 5.8%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 51 14.1%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 39 10.8%
  • Iron Kingdoms

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 51 14.1%
  • Mystara

Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Planescape

Votes: 56 15.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 15 4.2%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 30 8.3%

Wolfen Priest

First Post
KOK = FR - munchkins?

From what I could see in the KOK book (didn't buy it, just looked through it in the store), it didn't look anything like FR. It looked instead like a really generic setting the likes of which I could probably come up with on my own, if I wanted.

Nothing too original, from what I could tell. 'Course I never read through it. It did seem very detailed, I'll give it that.

I voted for Scarred Lands, hands down. Best. Setting. Evar.

Last edited:

Ace

Adventurer
I am homebrew setting kind of guy. When I run, its my Midrea setting every time.

When I play I like my frinds Jewel Cities setting--- very well thought out

gamecat

Explorer
Re: Re: SPELLJAMMER

King_Stannis said:

if it's possible to be wrong in an opinion, you are! ;)

no offense intended, but spelljammer was just wayyyyy to queer for me. sometimes being offbeat can be good - see the "spelljammer-lite" PLANESCAPE. but in SJ's case, it was just stupid. and not just with the space penguins. the whole concept.

What's queer about d&d in space? It's kinda like star wars without gay people with flashy beam swords!

Besides, what's not cool about the brave adventurers in their flying ship cliche? Final Fantasy does it in every game, and it gets cooler every time.

Nothing is offbeat in our game. If the characters accept the "galleon in space" thing in the game as reality, isn't that just part of suspension of disbelief? Is magic too offbeat for your game?!?

Last edited:

Outlaw

First Post
Re: Favorite Settings

From what I could see in the KOK book (didn't buy it, just looked through it in the store), it didn't look anything like FR. It looked instead like a really generic setting the likes of which I could probably come up with on my own, if I wanted

So, let me get this straight. You've never read it, only thumbed through it, but you know that it's generic and you could replicate it if need be.

The quality of the Kingdoms of Kalamar is based on two things, it's flexibility and it's intelligence. KoK isn't a world to praise and exalt the power gamer. It can be, however, if the DM wishes it to be. It can be molded to what a DM needs and wants without binding the DM to a particular style of play.

Take the high magic out of Forgotten Realms and watch that campaign world die as all the power gamers flock to whatever setting fills the void.

The intelligence of the KoK setting is surpassed by none of the campaigns presently available in mass market. I've been designing my own worlds for years but never have I taken the time or given the research of geography, antrhopology or sociology to create such a multi-faceted, complex world. The topography and meteorology of the world fits as a global dynamic rather than just from kingdom to kingdom and the political views, aspirations and dealings has created a world to game in, not just a bunch of regions that change the flavor of the game as soon as you cross the border.

I believe many people could make a campaign setting like the Kingdoms of Kalamar. It would just take a lot more work, dedication and passion then most people are willing to afford for such results. I'm glad David Kenzer was one of those people.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Re: Re: Favorite Settings

Outlaw said:

So, let me get this straight. You've never read it, only thumbed through it, but you know that it's generic and you could replicate it if need be.

The quality of the Kingdoms of Kalamar is based on two things, it's flexibility and it's intelligence. KoK isn't a world to praise and exalt the power gamer. It can be, however, if the DM wishes it to be. It can be molded to what a DM needs and wants without binding the DM to a particular style of play.

Take the high magic out of Forgotten Realms and watch that campaign world die as all the power gamers flock to whatever setting fills the void.

The intelligence of the KoK setting is surpassed by none of the campaigns presently available in mass market. I've been designing my own worlds for years but never have I taken the time or given the research of geography, antrhopology or sociology to create such a multi-faceted, complex world. The topography and meteorology of the world fits as a global dynamic rather than just from kingdom to kingdom and the political views, aspirations and dealings has created a world to game in, not just a bunch of regions that change the flavor of the game as soon as you cross the border.

I believe many people could make a campaign setting like the Kingdoms of Kalamar. It would just take a lot more work, dedication and passion then most people are willing to afford for such results. I'm glad David Kenzer was one of those people.

Amen!

I'm well versed in FR too (and love it, just got Silver Marches..AWESOME book), and honestly I don't see how ANYONE who has actually read through the KoK material can equate it with the Realms other than that they are both D&D settings. If anything it's closer in flavor and spirit to Pre-Wars Greyhawk.

I see Kalamar as a gigantic Campaign Construction Set...Here's the basics..fill in all the variables that you as a DM would want...e.g.Want High Magic like FR or Barsaive? You can do that. Want Low Magic like Harn? You can do that. Want Medium Magic like GH? You can do that.

I will also say the KoK setting book is (IMO) a fairly dull read compared to most campaign setting books....The KPG, and the KoK modules do a much better job of making the setting "come alive", if you will.

That being said, I think every campaign setting has something to offer. They all have strengths and weaknesses and are only as good as the DM that runs them.

Warchild

First Post
Dark Sun without a doubt. Its down and dirty, filled with politics and you get to play the greatest game in all of life...survival.
Anyone who knows anything about it knows its not munchkin. Carry around a stone sword and wear leather armor because wearing metal armor will kill you in the baking sun, then tell me about munchkins! :p
That fact that psionics actually WORK in this edition, makes yours truly a happy man! :)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Well you forgot 1:

Dragonstar. IT's D&D in space with all the guns of modern d20 and the rules of D&D, spellware, divineware, and dragons gallore make it all around fun setting to be in!

Voadam

Legend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: *Spits and chokes*

Kesh said:

I would love to see this! If I can ever get a hold of my copy of Night Howlers again, I want to make extensive use of it. Lycanthropes are a favorite of mine. :)

It is available as a $5 ESD from the WotC store if you can't find your copy. With the 3e multiclassing rules it would work well for true lycanthropes (favored class their were one). Instead of ECLs you start out as a cub of the stronger types and can work your way up to full power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads