• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite System that Never Caught On

Fishbone

First Post
What was your favorite system that never caught on?
Mine is Waste World. Lightning fast task resolution, gritty and hyper deadly combat system, and I loved the setting as being gleefully, unabashedly over the top.

TheNovaLord

First Post
SPI Dragonquest, (well it caught on a bit) till bought out and buried by those TSR scamps

excellent character creation, combat, spells and xp system

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I wish HERO had become more popular.

But I'm surprised that Steve Jackson's early work (Melee/Wizard/In the Labyrinth) had to become GURPS to actually reach a big audience. The game was dead simple- 3 stats- and PC generation took about 5 minutes.

I also liked Space 1889's setting (but it needed better mechanics) and Deadlands really should have done better.

Last edited:

Odhanan

Adventurer
The HeroWars/HeroQuest game that used Glorantha after RuneQuest could have been more popular, I think. It just requires a bit imagination and understanding between GM and players as far as the rules interpretations are concerned. I find the system pretty cool otherwise.

Turjan

Explorer
Odhanan said:
The HeroWars/HeroQuest game that used Glorantha after RuneQuest could have been more popular, I think. It just requires a bit imagination and understanding between GM and players as far as the rules interpretations are concerned. I find the system pretty cool otherwise.
I agree. But, in part, I blame the writers/editors :D. HeroWars was an organizational catastrophe, and HeroQuest could still be better organized. And the silly examples don't help, either.

Thotas

First Post
Alternity is one of those games I bought, but I had no gaming group at the time and I still want to try it out. Even though the Farthest Star thing that the Spycraft folks are supposed to be coming out with (or did it come out while I wasn't looking?) looks like great space opera, I still want to try both.

Last edited:

Jack Morgan

First Post
Superworld. It was more rational than V&V and simpler than champions. I also liked Ringworld, both are BRP games, though, so I don't know that they count so much in the "never caught on" category.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll back up that vote for Alternity.

That that game didn't fly off the shelf is one more indication to me that RPG players are wildly more interested in FRPGs than any other genre.

Last edited:

Remove ads