• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Third-Party Settings

Technomancer

First Post
I'm looking for some different settings, just for kicks. None of the standard D&D settings* like Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms. Share your favorite lesser known non-WotC settings. Vanilla fantasy is fine (actually my favorite), just want something new. Even a website only setting is ok.

*not that there's anything wrong with these settings, just looking for something different to read.

Turanil

First Post
Technomancer said:
Even a website only setting is ok.
See the link in my sig. below: plenty of homebrew settings, some of them extensively detailed, several vanilla fantasy, some more different.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Midnight: Essentially Middle Earth where Sauron won the War of the Ring. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic gist. PCs are refugees and heroes of the (probably doomed) resistance.

Iron Kingdoms: A war-torn setting with higher than usual tech level - think of the industrial revolution. Lots of setting detail.

Aus_Snow

First Post
A Game of Thrones, Avadnu, Conan and Thieves' World are all worth a look, I think.

Also, you might want to check out the 3e conversions of Birthright and/or Dark Sun online. I think they both have their merits, but I might be biased there, spending some of my time playing each of them, as I do.

None of the above is really vanilla fantasy though, sorry. :\ I've heard good things of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, DCC35 and Ptolus as far as that goes, though.

And I agree with Diaglo - Harn is definitely worth investigating.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft may be a nice change for your group, even if it's WotC.

The Diamond Throne featured in the volume Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved is a departure from straight D&D but one that is coherent and rich in its own right.

Wilderlands of High Fantasy and Dungeon Crawl Classics #35 are more old school settings. Perhaps that's the kind of stuff you're searching for.

Thieves' World is more about gritty role-play that straight D&D, though it uses D&D mechanics as a base. The flavor of the setting's very good.

Ptolus is the ultimate D&D setting. It marries Dungeon Crawling, Investigation, NPC interactions, conspirations, and urban adventures into a mammoth setting that embraces the premises of the game to raise them at a whole new level. You can play almost any playstyles and will find Ptolus to fit your needs. That's a beauty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads