• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite uses of Readied Actions

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I am wondering what the favorite uses of readied actions are among current D&D players (3rd or 4th edition).

My current favorite Readied Action (4th Ed):

Readied Commanders Strike as soon as the first enemy is adjacent to an ally.

This allos me to either nail an enemy as soon as it closes into melee, or to have an ally double up on smashing his opponent when he enters into melee.. It is especially fun when a minion enters melee and bites it before it can make its own attack.

END COMMUNICATION

Festivus

First Post
Kobold minion: Moves next to good guy tank and readies for a flank to aid another
Kobold striker: Moves next to same good guy in flanking position
Kobold minion: attempts to aid another
Kobold striker: makes his attack (with a potential +4 on the roll)

I use this kind of tactic with minions all the time. Sometimes it's just a attack, sometimes it's a grab attempt. Really depends on who their target is.

Festivus

First Post
Is this based on two actions or one?

Can you go move and then ready your standard action as a single turn in round one?

In 4E, ready = standard action, so you use a move action to move next to good guy and a standard to ready (which you choose which power to ready at that time). So to answer your question, it's two actions (move and standard). I might have the order slightly wrong but it really doesn't matter. What matters is that you would be wise to have the minions delay until just before the other bad guy so they don't get squished waiting there for the flank to come.

Stalker0

Legend
Fighter: Readies a charge if an enemy tries to move past him.

Enemy moves.
Fighter charges, and puts on his mark. If the enemy attempts to continue to move, fighter gets another attack and a chance to stop him cold.

Takes the fighter's defending ability up a couple of notches if used well.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I generally prefer to avoid readying actions with my fighter because it eats up his immediate action. However, the rogues frequently ready an attack to trigger as soon as they have combat advantage.

When I was playing my warlord, commander's strike was definitely my favourite power to ready. It was simply brutal, especially when I prepared it after a teleport into flanking position.

Festivus

First Post
Fighter: Readies a charge if an enemy tries to move past him.

Enemy moves.
Fighter charges, and puts on his mark. If the enemy attempts to continue to move, fighter gets another attack and a chance to stop him cold.

Takes the fighter's defending ability up a couple of notches if used well.

Isn't a readied action technically a "immediate reaction", meaning the fighter would not be able to use his combat challenge ("immediate interrupt") if the bad guy kept moving? Only one immediate action per round.

Remove ads