• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite way to begin a game?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
What is your favorite way to begin a game?

Do you like the "You're all in a tavern" scenario?

Do you prefer to have the characters meet one another at the start or start already knowing one another?

Do you like the characters to be fairly fleshed out at the beginning or to build them at the first session or to build them as you progress through a campaign?

Other options?

Altalazar

First Post
I prefer to have fully fleshed out backgrounds for each character that make them all a tightly knit group from the beginning, at least in terms of acquaintences and shared goals and allegiances.

The other methods too often leave open the chance for complete party rifts later on.

However, one could carefully craft a campaign start where the characters did all meet at once, but circumstances force them together in such a way that they end up being rather tightly knit. But that can be tricky - it invovles a lot of DM preparation/help with each of their (independent) backgrounds and a well crafted campaign to really pull off right.

Cake Mage

Explorer
shilsen said:
Roll for initiative!

I second this one. I have only used it once, but it worked great. basicly I told them why they were all in the area, and explaned the area, then told them they hear something moving toward them in the bushes, and bam! Roll initiative! :lol: :p :] :uhoh:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Any of:

1) "Tell me how you all know each other, and why you're working together."

2) "Each of you give me a reason why you're up in this area, looking into this event..."

3) "You are all hanging out in a bar... when a crimson seed flies in the door, and explodes in a chrysanthemum of firey destruction! Reflex saves please, then roll for initiative!"

-- N

The campaign I'm planning right now starts with a Dirty Dozen/ La Femme Nikita kinda thing.

The players who won't necessarily know each other will be arrested and put into a covert training program to perform small group missions for their king.

I think it's a good way to avoid the typical "meet in a tavern" thing which often strains credulity when you look at how disparate some parties are. (Like the effete elcvsh wizard would really want to hit the road with the boorish half-orc barbarian, etc.)

I think it will also provide some early direction for the group, as there won't be much bargaining about whether or not to accept the inaugural mission. It will also throw them smack dab into the middle of the intrigue I've built into the world both intra-kingdom, as well as with neighboring states.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
I like flashbacks. Putting them all in a situation, have them banter a bit and then flashback to how they got there. People tend to have a good deal of fun that way since they know they won't die... its a flashback! That sets a fun mood for the rest of the game and gets them into a lot of trouble down the line when that overconfidence hasn't worn off yet.

elvnsword

First Post
Honestly I usaully use a fully flushed character as a start (I include the "character flush sheet" with my instructions on character creation) IMC.

I also tend to use the following ground rules, you have all grown to "Age" about the same time, from a very diverse but remote village. Yuo have know each other for years, and want out of this town. Planning for your departure for the past year, you set out togther on a road toward a nigh town. Who knows what adventure awaits you, and what stories will be told, A pathway into adventures in Dungeons and Dragons...

Elvnsword :D

jester47

First Post
The Ussual Suspects/Dirty Dozen/LaFeme Nakita deal works ok. However-

In Media Res (in the middle of things) is the best way to go. Start with action.

I have come to the conclusion that while taverns are cliche, they are really handy. They can serve as a base of ops for the party, and if you think about it, it is a place where all sorts of people go. Might as well meet in a tavern if you are going to roleplay the party getting together, which is somthing I despise. I have the players determine what kind of party they want before they roll up characters. Then that determines the adventures, party make up, and how everything starts off.

Easier that way.

Aaron.

Remove ads