• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favourite Warlock Pact

What is your favourite warlock pact?

Wepwawet

Explorer
What is your favourite warlock pact and why?
I'm starting this poll because of this thread discussing how starlocks are weaker. The curious thing is that all posts i read from warlock players, play starlocks.
And personally I also prefer Starlocks, because of the flavour (obviously not because of mechanics :))
What do you think?

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I tend more toward roleplay than power gaming (as any of my party members will confirm, while also saying how useless I am in a combat), so a Feylock is my preference. With my Rod of Corruption and basic teleport powers I'm hopping all over the battlefield, but lack hitting power. My occasional use of Fey Switch and Witchfire at critical moments has somewhat mitigated that though.

MrAlgothi

First Post
My Girlfriend plays a Tiefling Fey/Feytouched Warlock and she is having a great time. I decided to create one during a one off and was amazed at how good it was at taking away enemy actions. Against a solo brute, after 6 rounds of combat the beast only had 3 standard actions thanks to Curse of the Golden Mist. They may not deal a huge amount of damage, but the status effects they can inflict make them great team players.

gtoasnt3

First Post
Fey all the way for the two warlocks that our game has had. The fey step powers have been fantastic in combat and have helped turn the tide of battle on several occasions.

Smeelbo

First Post
I have not yet played a Warlock, but I have thought about the early levels, and on the surface, the Fey Pact, teleporting as a free action, seems much stronger than the other pacts. I agree with Ryujin, when I saw the Rod of Corruption in the PHB, I was impressed. From a roleplaying perspective, I think I'd rather have a pact with Dark Galadriel then devils or stars. I can't speak to the powers of each pact at higher levels, but based on the boon alone, I'd pick Fey.

Smeelbo

Mengu

First Post
It's a close call for me. My least favorite is the dark pact. I just don't like their pact boon mechanics.

I like the Fey pact, because teleporting around a battlefield is tactically a very fun game to play.

I like Star pact warlocks slightly better than Fey pact, because in big fights, they always have a decent bonus to their attacks thanks to their pact boon. And Dire Radiance is very potent against undead, so in a party without a cleric, the star pact warlock becomes the star in undead encounters.

And by a small margin, Infernal warlocks are my favorite because they do a fantastic job of contributing to multiple party roles. They can be up close and taking hits where needed, they can be staying in the back blasting away cursed enemies, they can be dancing around the battlefield, providing flanks, provoking opportunity attacks, granting combat challenge attacks or divine challenge damage, while dishing out extra damage.

garyh

First Post
I'm really enjoying the flavor and the play of my infernal warlock. My only gripe is not a lot of Con powers to choose from at times, but Arcane Power will hopefully remedy that.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I went against the grain and voted for the dark pact. I've never played a warlock, but I like their flavor and most of the mechanics of the dark pact powers, so if I was going to play one, I'd go that route.

KlassyReborn

First Post
I enjoy the Inf-lock, the high con so it can take a blow, and high int so it might not actually TAKE the blow, put the constant gaining of temp hp. With the Rod of Reaving, pop a minion with your curse, kill it, gain temp hp as a minor action, then blast someone with your basic eldrich blast :D

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I vote starlock cause tentacles are fun for everyone.

I'm really enjoying the flavor and the play of my infernal warlock. My only gripe is not a lot of Con powers to choose from at times, but Arcane Power will hopefully remedy that.

This gets me too, I was really hoping that martial power and the barbarian would have Con primary attacks as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads