• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fear Duration?

weem

First Post
I ran the first session of our new 4E campaign today (went well), and we had an issue come up for which an answer could not immediately be found in the core books - the title of this thread gives it away but...

...how long does Fear last?

Specifically, this was the Cleric level 1 encounter ability "Cause Fear".

The description of a Hit is as follows...

The target moves its speed + your Charisma modifier away from you. The fleeing target avoids unsafe squares and difficult terrain if it can. This movement provokes opportunity attacks.

I've gone through the PHB as well as the DMG and I don't see anything relating to how you handle the fear effects.

My player (the Cleric) felt that the absence of the "save ends" meant that should he connect with the fear (the "vs Will" roll) that the creature is feared indefinitely. I could see where he was coming from, but I told him it didn't really make sense to me that the creature (a kobold) would simply run around in fear until he starved to death.

What I did was let him (the kobold) roll to save after his next turn so we could quickly get back on track and I told him I would look into it tonight (now).

Any help would be much appreciated as far as pointing me to a rule I missed, or errata, or how you would handle it via house rules (if there is nothing official), etc.

Thanks!

Lurker Abover

First Post
I'd say it doesn't last beyond the current turn. You smack the target, it freaks out and runs away X squares. That's it. The power doesn't impose a condition or anything.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
If no duration is given in the power's description, it is instant by default. So the creature runs away immediately (on the Cleric's turn, odd as that may seem) and that's it, the power is done.

hero4hire

Explorer
The target moves its speed + your Charisma modifier away from you on a successful hit.

I think that is it..The target instantly moves away...once.

weem

First Post
Thanks for the responses ;)

He will be selecting a different ability then I'm sure -- he said if we played it as them getting a save to end the effect, that he would want to exchange the ability - but in this case as you describe it, at least for him, it's a bit worse than that as it has no chance to continue affecting the creature.

Thanks again!

Satori

First Post
I wouldn't swap out the power just yet.

It is DECEPTIVELY powerful.

The most effective way to instantly cripple an enemy is to either kill him immediately or prevent him from taking meaningful action.

Cause Fear is an Encounter Power that takes a critter out of combat for one round, and severely ruins any tactical placement it was working towards.

Big Brute blocking your way to the squishies? Cause Fear, and suddenly the way opens!

Annoying Skirmisher destroying your Tank's flank? Cause Fear, and the threat is gone!

Seriously, play with it for a few combats and see how effective it is.

James McMurray

First Post
My cleric in KotS had Cause Fear for the first 5 fights. I used it twice, but the first time was because I wanted to see how it worked. There was never a time when it was a clearly better choice than one of my at wills. I traded it for Divine Glow (I've got low strength) and haven't looked back once. The power is not useless, but the times when it was a great choice compared to the other level 1 encounter powers didn't warrant it taking up a slot. Both times I used Cause Fear, Divine Glow would have been at least as useful, if not more.

That said, once your wizard is a blood mage, get it back. Cause Fear + Blood Pulse is fun. :)

pallen

First Post
In a demo I played in, a cleric successfully used cause fear against an archer in a tree. The GM ruled that he jumped out of the tree (taking damage) as that'd be the fastest way down. So, the enemy took damage, lost his cover/concealment/height advantage, and was out of the fight for one round while he recovered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads