• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fear levels

Sgt_Shock

First Post
My level 5 warlock has 19 intimidate at the moment. (+3 Ability Mod, 8 ranks, +6 from Beguiling Influence, +2 syn bonus with Bluff).

If I shake a foe with Frightful Eldritch Blast, can I follow up with an intimidate check to knock them up another fear level to Frightened?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yes. As long as the fear is from different sources, it should stack without any problem. Consider getting Daunting Presence feat from Libris Mortis, so you can add another layer of fear from the comfort of up to 30 ft away, and a layer that will last for the entire encounter (Demoralizing only lasts 1 round).

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

...The author has a whole section on demoralizing and manages to not even mention Intimidating Strike feat? It's in PH2, not that uncommon. And it's the simplest way to get your Intimidate checks to leave the foe shaken for longer.

He grossly undervalues Daunting Presence. The duration and range alone make it valuable, and while it can't progress on its own, it can be stacked upon. And the DC scales with HD. The only actual downside is single target. Which is true of many fear abilities (aside from the kinds that leave you immune for 24 hours once you save).

I realize it's not so common, but it is in crystalkeep's database... Dragon Mag #349 had the Fearsome Gaze Barbarian variant at level 7. Looks liek it costs you Indomitable Will later on and delays Trap Sense progression a tiny bit. In return, you get: "Your Intimidate checks are now based on Strength (instead of Charisma) & you receive a +4 on the check as long as your target is within 60’ and can see you."

I dunno...2 levels less than the investment into Zhentarim Fighter in a class better suited to Intimidate anyway...seems worth putting in the guide.

Remove ads