• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat and Skill based Psionics

BenjaminB

First Post
Has anyone run a game using one of the various feat and skill based psioncics systems out there? It seems to work fine for Star Wars, and breaking it down this way would make it less like the existing wierd stuff system (spell casting). The two would also be better suited to coexist- a little reliable mental telepathy to suplement spells wouldn't break anything.

Thoughts? Experiences?

-B

DreamChaser

Explorer
i have.

I would say that in terms of flavor, it works great. But in terms of practical balance it can become a nightmare.

When I did it, I tried to make enough to make a playable class (psionicist). Balancing the feats and skills against each other was hard. Saying "you have 8 skill points to spend but most of those have to be on psionic skills" works okay in theory but then levels of rogue have skill points to burn and (especially with the lack of exclusive skills in 3.5) can raise the skills.

The spellcasting of clerics and wizards is not really equivalent to feats...it is more powerful. A single 1st level spell can do more than any feat or skill (Jump, Magic Missile) and each feat or skill would need to grant the use of mutiple spells.

The same is true for psionics. It needs to be balanced so that it doesn't become nothing more than a progression of class abilities (which a series of exclusive feats would end up doing) or end up the feats the anyone in their right mind would end up taking.

I would like to see a psionic system more like the Channeling system from Wheel of Time. Feats open up areas of power but you still learn the different techniques normally. Instead of fixed "levels", most spells (called weaves) are multi-level. You get different amounts out, depending upon what you put in.

Things I definitely like about the PsH psionics:

The power points. They are much more logical than in the past. And the standardization went miles toward making it playable.

The metapsionic feats. Alot like metamagic, but very nice and they fit in well with the power points.

Things I dislike:

The 10 levels each power at a level, number of spells (oops powers) known per level. Makes it a sorcerer with power points.

The psionic combat rules. Out moded.

Psi-crystals. I mean come on!

Just my thoughts.

DC

BenjaminB

First Post
Yeah, I'm right there with you.

I was thinking of a sort of 'entry level' feat, with a tree-like progression of requirements: you can take Psi Sensitive (or whatever) at 1st level only- or you get it for free with your first level of Psionicist. It acts as a placeholder- either you get it at 1st level to reserve the option of becoming a psychic later on, or you get your 1st character level in a psionic class and cover your bases intrinsicly. So, unless you pick it first, you won't be able to multiclass into psionicist later on.

Not sure about ballancing issues though.

I just didn't like the way the PsiHB laid it all out... it just wasn't all that different than magic in form or function.

Kemrain

First Post
Ken Hood has made a Skills and Feats Psionics variant rulesystem. It can be found here . If you decide to take a look at it, there are other systems if you back up one link. Hope this helps.

- Kemrain the One-Man Ad Campaign

Remove ads