• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FEAT - Attack Bonus

tburdett

Explorer
What problems would this cause?

(Feat)

Attack Bonus

You gain a +1 unnamed bonus to your attacks with a chosen weapon. This does NOT increase your base attack bonus, it is just an unnamed attack bonus. This feat may be taken multiple times. This feat stacks with all other feats.

Edited to include text that I accidently edited out before :)

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
If you set it down next to weapon focus you'll see that for one feat you can either get a +1 with a specific weapon, or you can get a flat +1. On top of that weapon focus can only be take once for any given weapon. Obviously yours is better, and renders weapon focus obsolete as anything but a prerequisite for specialization. So I would say you feat is too powerful and it almost completely negates an already existing feat that consider to be fairly balanced, if you could only take it once then perhaps, but it still seems kind of dull and flavorless.

Sidran

First Post
I kind of disagree with the Issue that because it makes a previous feat obsolete it is wrong but here is my take for this feat

Improved Weapon focus
Through some inate sense you are adebt at striking solid blows, at perfect times.
Prerequisite: BAB 2+, Weapon Focus ( Chosen Weapon)
Benefits: You are more able to swiftly attack and counterattack an opponent with your blade. When making a called shot against a foe you only recieve a -2 to hit. In addition you can use your chosen weapon to parry a foes attacks, this gives a Character +2 to their AC. A Character must declare that they are standing on the defensive on the round.

tburdett

Explorer
Oni said:
If you set it down next to weapon focus you'll see that for one feat you can either get a +1 with a specific weapon, or you can get a flat +1. On top of that weapon focus can only be take once for any given weapon. Obviously yours is better, and renders weapon focus obsolete as anything but a prerequisite for specialization. So I would say you feat is too powerful and it almost completely negates an already existing feat that consider to be fairly balanced, if you could only take it once then perhaps, but it still seems kind of dull and flavorless.

I did make an editing mistake when I first entered the feat. Now that I've fixed that problem, does it change your opinion at all? If you still feel that it is too powerful, please take a moment to answer these few questions.

Why would this render Weapon Focus obsolete?

Why would anybody ever take this feat without taking Weapon Focus first?

This feat does not fulfill the prerequisite requirement for Weapon Specialization, which many people consider a useful feat.

The fact that it stacks with Weapon Focus also goes a long way to diminish your argument.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Crothian

First Post
What's the purpose of this feat? You get +1 to attack wiht a certain weapon. Sounds like Weapon Focus, except you can take it mor ethen once.

the Jester

Legend
tburdett said:
Why would this render Weapon Focus obsolete?

It does everything Weapon Focus does (except serve as a prereq for Specialization) but can be taken more than once. Therefore, it's superior.

Why would anybody ever take this feat without taking Weapon Focus first?

Why wouldn't someone? There's no point to taking Focus if it doesn't give you something that Attack Bonus doesn't. Since it's essentially the same except for the fact that you can take it more than once, I'd say Attack Bonus comes out on top.

This feat does not fulfill the prerequisite requirement for Weapon Specialization, which many people consider a useful feat.

The fact that it stacks with Weapon Focus also goes a long way to diminish your argument.

Well, the Specialization thing only matters if you're a fighter, and since Attack Bonus stacks with Focus, there's no reason not to take Focus once and stack Attack Bonus on it with every feat until you hit fourth level. Think of a human fighter 4 with Focus, Specialization and Attack Bonus as his only feats: you'd get a total of +5 to attack rolls at fourth level, not counting BAB, str, magic or mw items, etc.

Too much, imho. I also think it's flavorless- it's just a superior version of a feat that already exists and is well-balanced. Also, it can rapidly outdo Epic Weapon Focus (+2 to attacks with a given weapon; just take Attack Bonus twice and hey presto, you've emulated an epic feat. Three times and you've outdone it... all aa a first level human fighter).

Why do you see the need for this feat, anyway? Do you find something problematic with Focus? Just curious...

Technik4

First Post
I also don't like "Attack Bonus" as it seems more like a mechanic and less like a feat. Heres my elven fighter with attack bonus, hide bonus, and 30ft ranged bonus. Ehh..

However, what about this, its designed for fighters, but technically anyone with the pre-reqs could take it.

Expert Technique [Fighter, General]
You have honed your skills to a razor edge, and it shows.
Pre-reqs: 5 feats from the Fighter's feat section, BAB 5+
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to all your attacks, this does not raise your BAB, and only applies to the first attack you make in a round. If that attack hits, it applies to the next, and so on until you miss.

Whatcha think?

Technik

the Jester

Legend
Technik4 said:
what about this, its designed for fighters, but technically anyone with the pre-reqs could take it.

Expert Technique [Fighter, General]
You have honed your skills to a razor edge, and it shows.
Pre-reqs: 5 feats from the Fighter's feat section, BAB 5+
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to all your attacks, this does not raise your BAB, and only applies to the first attack you make in a round. If that attack hits, it applies to the next, and so on until you miss.

Whatcha think?

Technik

Eeek! Too much again, in my opinion. +1 to any attack??? Focus only gives one weapon, even PB Shot only does missile weapons within 30'. Even with the requirements (which a human fighter could hit easily by 3rd other than the BAB) this is too much. After all, if you qualify for it, what fighter wouldn't take it in preference to just about anything else? It's WAY bettter than weapon focus, which is the best thing to compare it too... yikes!

No offense, but it seems like some folk really want something that trumps Weapon Focus, but no feat should be significantly better than another on its own terms unless it's an advanced version of it (up the chain, in other words; Great Cleave is a sort of Advanced Cleave, f'rinstance). This one is darn close to the epic feat that increases your attack bonus by 1, just very slightly less powerful than it. Maybe if it required a BAB of +16 (so only primary BAB characters could get it), but I think it's too much for anything shy of an epic level feat and too little for an epic level feat.

I think it's good to design new feats, but redundant ones are almost inevitably going to cause problems. They'll either be too good or not good enough in almost all cases. And no feat gives you a blanket +1 to attacks at less than epic levels, so there's prolly a reason why.

Again, imho; I don't mean to be a big poopy naysayer. :rolleyes:

Technik4

First Post
I suppose youre right, but I just can't stop thinking about these things:

Improved Charge
You have a degree of accuracy unmatched by your peers.
Pre-reqs: Power Attack, Expertise, and BAB 4+
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus when charging on your first attack, this overlaps (does not stack with) the regular charge bonus. You still hae a -2 AC until your next initiative.

This gives a improved chance of charging, but is not nencesarily a feat "Everyone" will take. It works with all attacks and all weapons.

In contrast, my other feat (see above) only gave a +1 bonus to hit, and only if you hit with your last attack. This traslates into a possible +1 attack with all your attacks, or more likely, +1 on your first and second attack only. The fact that it is "always" on, despite what weapon you are using, does not in my opinion make it superior to weapon focus. For a fighter, he needs weapon focus for spec, and this feat is not a requirement for any prestige class. For a non-fighter, well, I can see a monk with it, but even there I don't feel its "broke" as the blanket +1 attack bonus feat was. I am pretty sure there is a feat like this in the Oriental Handbook.

Technik

Remove ads