• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat: First Strike

hong

WotC's bitch
Just saw Zatoichi. If you know of whom I speak, you'll know what inspired this.

FIRST STRIKE [martial arts]

Your speed of reaction in combat is exceptional.

Prerequisites: Quick Draw, Combat Reflexes, BAB +6

Benefit: You can make an attack of opportunity on a target that enters a space you threaten. This attack is resolved after the target enters that space, but before it continues movement or takes other actions. The attack counts as an attack of opportunity due to movement, so (for example) you cannot make two attacks of opportunity on someone who enters and then leaves a space you threaten. You do not gain this attack if the only movement your target makes is a five-foot-step.

Normal: Attacks of opportunity due to movement can only be made on a target that leaves a space you threaten.

I'm sure it's been done before, but what the hell. Also, I'm aware that two people who both have this feat and know about it could potentially spend the next ten years not willing to close with each other, but I'm okay with that.

Too strong? Too weak?

dougmander

Explorer
hong said:
Too strong? Too weak?

I like it, but I'm not sure that Quick Draw is the best prerequisite, since monks would love this feat, they often fight unarmed, and Quick Draw is therefore not as useful to them. Would you consider having a minimum Dex score as a prerequisite instead of Quick Draw?

KingDobbs

First Post
I would actually say Improved Initiative is a better feat requirement than Quick Draw. The description sounds like it's a mix between it and Combat Reflexes.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
One potential problem:

(Character Two has First Strike feat)
Character One moves adjacent to Character Two.
Two takes AoO against One.
One then resolves the rest of his action.
Two uses full attack action against One, then takes a 5' step away. One does not get an AoO against Two because Two only moved 5'.

If One does not have a reach weapon, Two will get a free AoO every single round as One attempts to close. In open terrain, where combatants can maneuver freely, this is a bit too powerful for my taste. Otherwise, it might be okay.

Personally, I think I'd be more comfortable if the feat (instead of giving an AoO) allowed a character to sacrifice his current round's actions to take a first strike when an opponent enters a threatening space. In this case, the first strike replaces the standard action of the character, rather than being in addition to it. If the character has already acted in the round (or is flat-footed), then the feat has no effect.

simen_88

First Post
I like this feat. Very much. A no-brainer for any phalanx formation.
@Whiskers: The feat says "You do not gain this attack if the only movement your target makes is a five-foot-step.", ergo you are wrong. Luckily, that is.

Sir Whiskers said:
Personally, I think I'd be more comfortable if the feat (instead of giving an AoO) allowed a character to sacrifice his current round's actions to take a first strike when an opponent enters a threatening space. In this case, the first strike replaces the standard action of the character, rather than being in addition to it. If the character has already acted in the round (or is flat-footed), then the feat has no effect.

which is part of ready action automaticlly and dosent require a feat.

LazerPointer

First Post
Quick Draw is a good pre-req, IMO, cause (if I saw the same movie) the character gained surprise by....drawing quickly.

As for monks, screw them. No, I'll be more diplomatic: I can't picture a monk getting the surprise spring on his foes while unarmed. Seems it would be pretty easy to stab him while he tries.

Pretty strong, when combined with combat reflexes. You'll have a lot more rounds of combat where you use all your AoO's.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads