• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat for Druid lvl9

Vraister

First Post
Moin,
my druid just became lvl 9 and now I have to choose a feat, but I'm not sure which one.
She is a female elf with 10 str, 16 dex, 10 con, 15 int, 17 wis and 10 cha. Her current feats are Track, Create Infusion and Natural Spell.
She started out as an allround male gnom druid (tracking, fighting and casting), but thanks to reincarnate she ist now an elf with a low constitution. Therefore and because the sorceress left the group, she is the main caster and relies mainly on spells.

I'm looking for a feat which increases her spellcasting power or which is really cool to have and use for a druid.

My DM allows:
Core rulebooks
Classguides
3rd party stuff (probably)

Stuff from other worlds are probably not allowed - so no Spellcasting Prodigy. We are playing in Greyhawk.

Thanks in advance
Vraister

diaglo

Adventurer
brew potion

if you are the only spellcaster. create a bunch of cure light wounds potions for the party.

craft wand would've been nice. but no one else can use it.

Vraister

First Post
Hey,
I'm the highest level caster, but not the only caster.
The group consists of:
Cleric6/Fighter4
Rogue8, lots of ranks in UMD, the only one with arcane magic ;-)
Rogue3/Fighter1, the one who didn't want to play the sorceress anymore
Ranger7, currently away

The Cleric is going to take Craft Wands or Wondrous Item and we two are going to make magic items.
Craft Potion is ok, but we could easily buy potions.

Vraister

diaglo

Adventurer
there are some neat feats to take for assuming other forms when you wildshape.

i think the draconomicon has one for dragon forms. ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
If you are interested in fighting while wildshaped despite your modest Con, then Fast Wildshape from Masters of the Wild is superb. It is particularly attractive at 9th+ level because it allows you to do a sequence like: SNA (optional), Fast Wildshape then Animal Growth on summoned animal + animal companion + yourself. That gives you a heavy kick of offense on round 1 or 2. Note that Fast Wildshape will also let you get quick healing in the middle of combat without costing you an action. That might be very valuable to someone without a Con bonus.

If you are really a heavy duty caster, I consider Scribe Scroll to be extremely valuable to a Druid (although maybe Infusions are good enough for you). Getting an "infusion" at half cost (scroll cost) is pretty good.

You might consider Spell Focus: Conjuration and pick Augment Summoning at level 12. A better choice might be the weaker version of Augment Summoning from Tome & Blood for instant gratification.

Spell Penetration is also a fine choice. You may not need it quite yet, but it will probably come in handy within a few levels. Doesn't hurt to get it early.

Looking over the options I just listed, I strongly suggest Fast Wildshape. The kicker is it will be useful for both offense and defense. Easy healing in the middle of combat is an extremely valuable resource.

Vraister

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
If you are interested in fighting while wildshaped despite your modest Con, then Fast Wildshape from Masters of the Wild is superb. It is particularly attractive at 9th+ level because it allows you to do a sequence like: SNA (optional), Fast Wildshape then Animal Growth on summoned animal + animal companion + yourself. That gives you a heavy kick of offense on round 1 or 2. Note that Fast Wildshape will also let you get quick healing in the middle of combat without costing you an action. That might be very valuable to someone without a Con bonus.
Fast Wildshape sounds nice, but we are playing 3.0, so I can't wildshape into a Dire Animal yet. Furthermore the Animal Growth won't work on myself, because while wildshaped I'm still an elf.

Ridley's Cohort said:
If you are really a heavy duty caster, I consider Scribe Scroll to be extremely valuable to a Druid (although maybe Infusions are good enough for you). Getting an "infusion" at half cost (scroll cost) is pretty good.
My character doesn't like Scrolls and the Infusions are as good as Scrolls just more expansive.

Ridley's Cohort said:
You might consider Spell Focus: Conjuration and pick Augment Summoning at level 12. A better choice might be the weaker version of Augment Summoning from Tome & Blood for instant gratification.

Spell Penetration is also a fine choice. You may not need it quite yet, but it will probably come in handy within a few levels. Doesn't hurt to get it early.
I'm thinking about Spell Penetration. Seems like the only feat which improves my spellcasting, but it's not really cool. It just increases some numbers. I'm looking for a stylish feat which lets you do something new. Maybe a metamagic feat and then Energy Substitution at lvl 12.

Vraister

jgsugden

Legend
3.0 druids have one huge problem when fighting in melee: AC. They tend to have horrible ACs in animal form. I'd suggest considering expertise (combat expertise in 3.5). If you want to stick to something to help your spellcasting, I'd go with quicken spell. Getting 2 spells per round is a huge benefit, even if one costs a slot 4 levels too high. It will be hard to spare the slots now, but every additional level will make it that much easier and even at this level, preparing q uickened 1st level spell may be a better idea than preparing a single 5th level spell. Would it be better to cast a 4th level spell and a 1st level spell or a single 5th level spell?

Vraister

First Post
youspoonybard said:
Combat Reflexes is always nice for a Druid.
Combat Reflexes sounds really good. I'm going to buy a Long Spear and have a high dexterity. It would rock, but I'm not really strong.

Vraister

Remove ads