• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat granting magic items

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
what is the cost for this? in 3.0 it seemed to be a 5000 gp cost for magic items that granted feat use, i.e. sword grants blindfighting when wielded etc. so i'm looking at the 3.5 srd and it makes no mention of the cost of this. not that it expressly set a cost in the 3.0 dmg. any ideas? suggestions? and what about and item that grants mulitple feats, would the second one cost the 75% more that a similar secondary function costs in magic item creation?
help?

thanks!

kreynolds

First Post
It's worth nothing, however, that the A&EG states if the feat is purely mechanical, like a bonus to something, it should be priced using the methods detailed in the DMG.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
This may sound flippant, but you should price these things based upon value.

Formulas can only do so much. The game is far too complex to have appropriate formulas to cover every possibility, especially in areas such as magic item. The formulas provided are fine guidelines, but they fall apart in many circumstances.

This is especially true when it comes to granting feats (or class abilities) via magic items. Why? Because some feats are far more valuable than other feats.

Once you decide what powers an item should have, use whatever formulas or guidelines are present in the DMG to give you a price. Then, compare the item to items in the DMG that are prices at roughly that level. If no formula applies, just start to thumb through the mahgic item lists.

Is your item better than items at the price you reached through the formulas? Worse? Why?

Then, either adjust the item or the price until it seems to be about as useful as most of the stuff in the same price range.

In general, items that grant feats should probably be priced between 1,000 gold and 25,000 gold, but that is just a rough estimate for the range. You'll need to play around with things and decide if that range seems right to you.

the Jester

Legend
It definitely depends on the feat you're getting- a sword that gives you Whirlwind Attack is worth far more than a shield that gives you simple weapon proficiency.

kreynolds

First Post
Yeah, you could easily put WA at anywhere between 30K (10K + 5K x 4) and 50K (10K + 10K x 4). Pesonally, I would probably price it like this...

Whirlwind Attack: 10K
Comat Reflexes: 10K
Dodge: 5K
Mobility: 10K
Spring Attack: 10K
Total: 45K

If I was pricing it more liberally, it would probably look like...

Whirlwind Attack: 10K
Comat Reflexes: 8K
Dodge: 5K
Mobility: 7K
Spring Attack: 10K
Total: 40K

However, it's important to keep in mind that while the magic item would grant you the WA feat, it does _not_ automatically grant you the prerequisite feats. Those are just used for pricing of the WA feat itself.

Last edited:

Remove ads