• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

feat: Increased Animal Companion

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
How do you think about feat that allow you more animal companions?
Maybe like this.

Increased Animal Companion
Prereq.: animal companion, divine spell caster level 5+
Benefit : Increase HD limit of your animalcompanions by 4 and increase HD limit of your single animal companion by 2.

example:
Normally, lvl7 druid can keep animal companions up to 14HD and one animal companion cannot exceed 7.
With this feat, he can have up to 18HD companions and one of them can be 9HD.

And how about more strong version which gives you +8/+4 and +12/+6 (overrap;dosen't stack)?

fba827

Adventurer
seems okay to me as well.

I'd be wearing of your idea to make subsequent "increase" feats for this, though. If possible, wait and see how this first one starts to go before you introduce the ability to increase it even further.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
We've been using this EXACT feat in our games for about 9 months now, and it's been strictly fair and balanced as far as we can tell.

starwolf

First Post
Actually, I've thought about this too. I'm beginning to feel as though the whole animal companian rule may need a little tweaking, so here is a hypothesis: What if you were to allow a druid or ranger to ignore the hit dice of any creatures whose hit die did not exceed the character's class level/5.

Example: Johan the 5th level Druid may have as many 1 hit die or less creatures as animal companions he want's and they would not count against his total allowed, however any animals of 1+1 hit die or greater would.

Once Johan reached 10th level then any creatures of 2 hit die or less would then be "free".

Any thoughts?

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Only thought is that there's no such thing as 1+1 hit die any more.

The problem is that anything that is unlimited can and will be abused at some point.

Remove ads