• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Feat Reccomendations for a Gnome Illusionist (3.5)

iwatt

First Post
OK, I have a Gnome illusionist (8th Level) with evocation/necromancy as forbidden schools (the blasting in the party is the job of the kobold sorceror). I had taken augment summoning as a Level 6 feat, but never got to use it because there is a druid in the party that took the same feat 8and combat get real slow when you have like 6 summoned critters). The DM graciously allowed me to change it. I also am about to reach 9th level and will be getting another feat soon.

The feats I have are:

(Wiz1) Spell Focus Illusion
(Wiz3) Greater Spell Focus Illusion
(Wiz5) Spell Focus Conjuration

by the way, the gnome has Con of 20, so I'm seriously thinking of taking toughness and Roll with it. ;) If important, this gnome is the greatest liar in the party, so maybe I should take skill focus (Bluff) :D . He's also already taken 1 level in the (I can't recall the name right now) illsuionist prestige class in races of Stone.

But since I can't help powergaming a little, I's like to know what good feat alternatives are out there. Available books are: Core, all the Complete, Races of Stone, and Forgotten Realms books. Remember, this wizard is all about support casting, no blasting at all (not even with Conjuration spells).

JimAde

First Post
Complete Warrior has Improved Toughness. See if your DM will let you use it instead of regular Toughness. It gives you one extra hit point per die (so 9 in your case once you level).

No item creation feats? Craft Wondrous Items is terribly handy.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that without augment summoning, spell focus (conjuration) pretty much sucks. The good news is that you cannot get it as a wizard bonus feat, so ask your DM to change that as well as augment summoning. I second the motion on improved toughness instead of toughness should you go that route. I also second the motion on item creation feats (particularly for Wiz5, CWI is a must), though that can depend on the campaign style of play.

Thanee

First Post
You normally cannot even take Spell Focus as a wizard bonus feat, so technically your 5th level feat is illegal, anyways. ;)

Spell Penetration and Arcane Mastery is maybe worth a look.
Improved Initiative is also generally good for a wizard.

Maybe Sudden Silent to have the means to get out of tough situations with a silent Dimension Door.

Craft Wondrous Item is really good, if you have the downtime to actually use it.

Bye
Thanee

Odysseus

Explorer
Your at the level where you can start making use of metamagic, and having a quickened spell is always useful in an emergancy. Extend and heighten are also good for illusiona and conjuration spells.
Persusive might be an alterntive to skill focus bluff.
You should also think defensively. Have you got a save thats lower than the rest, that could do with a boost.
And arcane defence(illusion) could be an option, if your getting many illusions thrown at you.
Greater spell focus conjuration is also an option.Boosts the dc of grease spell.
If you use touch spells much, reach spell would be good.
There is a feat to improve dispel magic checks, but I can't remember where I saw it.

iwatt

First Post
JimAde said:
Craft Wondrous Items is terribly handy.

Thing is, the DM had a bad experience with having too many magic items in his last campaign, so he's very cautious this time around. He'd rather I didn't take CWI. I was thinking maybe Craft wands or staff as a compromise.

Scion

First Post
This thread might help:

Gnomes Of Illusion

;) With a little help from the dm, and some various spells/powers you could be well on your way to mastering the art of illusion. Illusions that might someday be more real than the real thing!

iwatt

First Post
Thanee said:
You normally cannot even take Spell Focus as a wizard bonus feat, so technically your 5th level feat is illegal, anyways. ;)

:eek:

It just made so much sense that the spell focus feats were in the bonus feat list that I didn't check. The DM has no problem with it though (Instant House rule :D )

iwatt

First Post
Odysseus said:
Your at the level where you can start making use of metamagic, and having a quickened spell is always useful in an emergancy. Extend and heighten are also good for illusiona and conjuration spells.
Persusive might be an alterntive to skill focus bluff.
You should also think defensively. Have you got a save thats lower than the rest, that could do with a boost.
And arcane defence(illusion) could be an option, if your getting many illusions thrown at you.
Greater spell focus conjuration is also an option.Boosts the dc of grease spell.
If you use touch spells much, reach spell would be good.
There is a feat to improve dispel magic checks, but I can't remember where I saw it.

The thing about persuasive, skill focus as feats is that they give a good boost at first but then seem like a waste as level advances.

Quicken will probably be my 12th level spell. (spells worth quickening)

Heighten is also pretty good coupled with phantasmal Killer (I have a killer illusion DC=17+spell level)

Reach sounds like a good idea.....displacement is the only defense the goliath barbarian really has :D

I've rolled extremely well in my hps: I have 69 (Con 20 is just great :D ), and there are just so many more juicier targets out there I don't get attacked that much. Defense has never been a priority for this PC (quite refreshing compared to my obsession with playing high AC high save PCs before)

iwatt

First Post
Scion said:
This thread might help:

Gnomes Of Illusion

;) With a little help from the dm, and some various spells/powers you could be well on your way to mastering the art of illusion. Illusions that might someday be more real than the real thing!

I really don't try to, but somehow I always stumble into min/maxed combos...

when I converted my 2e cleric of tempus to 3e, I didn't realiz I was getting one of the most broken characters: the straight up melee cleric.

When I started this gnome illusionist, I purposefully decided never to deal direct damage, just to prove that you can have an effective build without having to throw fireballs. Now you tell me I will be a better conjurer than the real thing? .... my DM is going to kill me :D . Thank god he's my little brother. :p

Last edited:

Remove ads