Feat selection for a two-handed weapon fighter

comareddin

First Post
Hello everyone. I am building a goliath fighter that uses a huge greatsword. His stats at the moment are
STR:20
DEX:11
CON:17
INT:14
WIS:10
CHA:7

What feats would you suggest to be picked up by this fighter as he makes his way to the 10th level?

IcyCool

First Post
You use a huge greatsword? Well then, your first feat should be Monkey Grip. Otherwise you can't use that nifty sword. ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Just work your way through the Power Attack and Combat Expertise Chains.

Also, from the Draconomicon, there's a great feat called Sense Weakness. It lets you ignore 5 points of all DR's. Prereq's are Combat Expertise and Weapon Focus.

comareddin

First Post
Goliaths have the powerful build ability which allows them to wield weapons as if the goliath was a size large creature.

By the way, I am open to suggestions from any books.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Right, that means they can use Large greatswords with no penalty. You need Monkey Grip for the Huge.

Pinotage

Explorer
comareddin said:
Goliaths have the powerful build ability which allows them to wield weapons as if the goliath was a size large creature.

By the way, I am open to suggestions from any books.

Yes, but size large creatures still can only wield large two-handed weapons without penalty. If you want to use a huge greatsword, you'd require the monkey-grip feat. That's if the two of them stack.

Pinotage

comareddin

First Post
Ok so I made a typo. My fighter is wielding a blade with two hands and that blade's base damage is 3d6. I don't really know if it counts as a large greatsword or huge greatsword.

dagger

Adventurer
Well if a human takes monkey grip he can use a large greatsword that does 3d6, so you are able to use the same weapon with no penalty. Out of curiosity what does 3d6 scale up to?

Some Feats:

Improved Buckler Defense (does work with a two handed weapon according to errata I saw on Wizards boards). If you don’t want to mess with that, then just buy an animated shield to up your armor class.

Power Attack, Cleave...

Find a 9th level wizard and have him enlarge you permanently, 10 ft reach and huge greatsword with no penalty. Then throw in combat reflexes or Whirlwind attack. OUCH

Improved Crit or a keen weapon.

Power Critical to make sure you confirm those crits.

Crothian

First Post
dagger said:
Well if a human takes monkey grip he can use a large greatsword that does 3d6, so you are able to use the same weapon with no penalty. Out of curiosity what does 3d6 scale up to?

3d8

Remove ads