• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat Spell?

Flobby

Explorer
Anyone know if there is a spell out there that allows you to temporarily duplicate a feat? If so do you know where could I find it?

iceifur

Explorer
As mentioned by Quez above, Heroics (Sor/Wiz 2) is the spell you're looking for.

It may be of limited usefulness, but Master's Touch (a Bard/Sor/Wiz 1, from Spell Compendium) grants you proficiency with a touched weapon or shield for the duration of the spell; that's kinda like a feat. :)

Flobby

Explorer
Quez The Lame said:
Heroics from Spell Compendium grants a feat from the fighter's bonus feat list.

Thanks everyone! Do you know off hand what the spell level of Heroics is? I don't have the Spell Compendium...

nevermind. Wrote this before I saw the last post! Thanks!

Angel Rage

First Post
Speaking of Heroics, I have a little problem as a DM and could use some advice.

One of my players can cast Heroics and uses it to take the Martial Stance from Tome of Battle. This allows him to choose any maneuver from a certain stance every time he casts it, as long as he meets the pre-reqs. This opens up his spell caster to be every bit as strong as a fighter and he overshadows ever other member of the party because he can do pretty much any maneuver.

Is there anything I can do in the face of this? For instance, is there something that says he can't? Otherwise, I just have to outlaw Heroics, which is ridiculous in the first place.

kooshlord

First Post
Angel Rage said:
Is there anything I can do in the face of this? For instance, is there something that says he can't? Otherwise, I just have to outlaw Heroics, which is ridiculous in the first place.

I'm neither a DM nor an expert, but the caster w/ heroics:
-probably doesn't have the same armor or hit points as a real fighter
-requires time to cast heroics
-requires time to cast other buff spells to match a fighter-types typical stats
-has limited spells per day.

So yeah, the caster CAN be as good offensively as a fighter (if the caster has the strength) but they are either more vulnerable to counter-attack, slower to join the fray (buffing themselves with heroics and other spells) or both. And with enough encounters/day, they'll run out of uses of the buff-spell(s) pretty quickly, while the fighter will just keep on shining in melee.

Either way, this seems like a self-correcting problem in the long run: the caster will eventually perform less time/spell-resource/consuming spells with a more typical caster role, or get themselves killed running around in melee while being frail.

Hope that helps!
-Koosh

Angel Rage

First Post
It does help, the obvious choice was there, I just didn't think of it. I up the encounters/day giving him less time to cool down and regain spells.

We recently found that he has been "cheating" a bit in not doing his spells per day or HP correctly (something I should have noticed from the start, a case of misplaced trust) so now he is correctly nerfed. And with more than a couple encounters/day, he'll be crapped out in no time.

Thanks.

milo

First Post
Wait, you mean players cheat sometimes. Oh no I didn't think I gave him the staff of power at 3rd level, maybe I should take that away from him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads