• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats allowing crits on non crittable critters

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
I remember a few feats similar to the ones in Masters of the Wild that allow those with Favored Enemies to crit the normally uncritable like undead, constructs, etc. But what about rogues or fighters? Any idea where I can find them?

Thanks!

UltimaGabe

First Post
I'd sure hope not.

Game-mechanics-wise, there shouldn't be any feats that allow crits on non-crittable critters. By the game mechanics, most monsters immune to critical hits are immune to such for a reason- Constructs, for example, have a d10 hit die, but no constitution score. Neither do undead. Thus, they make up for lower hit points by being immune to the most damage-dealing mechanic in the game- critical hits. If there were any feats that allow critical hits on an enemy not normally susceptible as such, it would have to be severely limited in its use, or have some pretty hefty requirements to make it balanced. For example, I believe there's a Prestige Class or two out there that allows Undead to be Critt'd, but it's a 10th-level ability. Also, I remember some online netbook with a feat that allowed you to Sneak Attack things non-sneak-attackable- but you had to choose one type (such as Constructs, Oozes, or Undead), and even then your Sneak Attack was reduced by one die step (from a d6 to a d4). That's about as balanced as a feat like that could get, in my opinion.

There's a feat in the Quintessential Rogue that's as broke as a bum in the gutter. It allows you to Sneak Attack Constructs- but not just that. In addition to being able to Sneak Attack something with less average hit points than anything else of the same HD, it ALSO gives you a +2d6 when Sneak Attacking such a critter. What the heck were they thinking?!

Gort

Explorer
Maybe a better mechanic than being immune to critical hits would be to halve all damage caused by critical hits on such monsters.

Or possibly just halve all sneak attack damage on those monsters? Immune to criticals very much neuters rogues, above and beyond what it does to other classes.

rbingham2000

Explorer
Basically, the only way that one should get a crit on something normally un-crittable (is that even a friggin' word?) is if the character has learned how the creature can best be killed or destroyed -- for example, the stake in the heart for taking out a vampire.

SteelDraco

First Post
I've seen versions of this feat that allow you to choose a creature type that's normally immune to crits. Instead of being completely immune, you treat them as though they had 50% fortification. That's certainly better than nothing, but I didn't think it was overpowered. I allow it as something that rangers can take against favored enemies, though nobody has. (Requirements are BAB +4, Favored Enemy)

Darklone

KPG: Find the Secrets.
Prerequs among others Improved Critical.
Benefits: you're able to sneak attack/crit one kind of critters usually immune to criticals.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Gort said:
Immune to criticals very much neuters rogues, above and beyond what it does to other classes.
Yeah, it would be easier for rogues if every monster were crittable, but that's the point. Every class is strong against some creature types, and weak against others. That's why a good party is made up of different characters, rather than four rogues and a barrel of potions.

Wizards would have an easier time if they faced exclusively nonmagical creatures. Fighters would do better if every monster was a melee-fragile caster type. Clerics would be awesome if the party fought nothing but undead. You don't change the rules to make life easier for those classes, so why start changing them just to give the rogue a cakewalk?

Darklone

That's why most of these feats don't allow to crit ALL otherwise crit-immune creature types (constructs, undeads, aberrations...)

Gort

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
Wizards would have an easier time if they faced exclusively nonmagical creatures. Fighters would do better if every monster was a melee-fragile caster type. Clerics would be awesome if the party fought nothing but undead. You don't change the rules to make life easier for those classes, so why start changing them just to give the rogue a cakewalk?

Yeah, cause rogues are the uber-class, and anything that they can critical is a walkover for them. Good grief.

There's no monster in the game that fighters can't hurt. Even incorporeal things still get hurt by them 50% of the time. (assuming they don't have ghost touch stuff) Golems, the bane of wizards, don't negate a wizards usefulness - he can still buff his friends, use non-SR spells (Acid Arrow for example) or utility spells. Clerics can melee (especially with a few buffs), heal, buff etc, in any fight.

The rogue, on the other hand, with 20 levels under his belt, is reduced to doing D6+5 damage to say, a mummy, a creature with DR 5/-. It'll take ages for him to hurt it! This exact scenario came up in a game I was playing in. My fighter was fighting a death knight, the cleric was battling a vampire monk, the barbarian was slicing up an evil cleric, and our rogue was in one on one, mano-a-mano combat with a monster with ten fewer hitdice than him. It was rather pitiful.

The rogue, on the other hand, with 20 levels under his belt, is reduced to doing D6+5 damage to say, a mummy, a creature with DR 5/-. It'll take ages for him to hurt it! This exact scenario came up in a game I was playing in. My fighter was fighting a death knight, the cleric was battling a vampire monk, the barbarian was slicing up an evil cleric, and our rogue was in one on one, mano-a-mano combat with a monster with ten fewer hitdice than him. It was rather pitiful.

Maybe your rogue should had started flanking the evil clr with the barbarian and after the clr is down, they start pounding down the mummy together.
I don't know how the situation was really was like, but sometimes concentrated fire is better than "running" around and achieving nothing, as it seems especially for the rogue's part.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads