• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Feats *and* aibility increases

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Yeah, I wanted to do this at first, too. It's not a good idea. There aren't enough feats for everyone to have interesting options at every level and picking ability boosts loses a lot of its luster when you've already maxed out all the stats you use on regular basis.

I don't mind high-powered games, but this actually reduces meaningful player options.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
For my game, I leave character creation alone for the most part, but grant bonus feats at 1st, 5th, 11th, and 17th level. It front-loads a bit of extra power at first level, but evens out later on, and provides more diverse characters early on, as well. It hasn't upset the balance at all, either.

Scorpio616

First Post
Don't spoil the players. They should feel hungry for power at the 3rd level as they hit 4th. they'll have their 5th level power spike soon enough as well. 5E is still fresh, so they may not grasp how the character power flows just yet.

Scorpio616

First Post
There's little reason to give both feats and the standard +2 Stat increment, as most of the feats include a +1 to a stat anyway. Make them choose.
Yeah, the free feat could equal +3 to a stat, which can cause a very high power spike.

What would be the reason to let them have both? I would think it would be worth trying out the new edition as it is and not use old mindsets from previous editions about how powerful characters are and should be. What is the value in handing out extra candy from the beginning and starting an endless spiral of more wants more? Take a run at the game with standard rules and then, if that doesn't satisfy your needs, you can begin tweaking stuff.
Waiting until after a few campaigns for doing this does sound like a very good idea.

txshusker

First Post
I just hit 4th in the Encounters campaign and have been trying to choose which option is best to optimize my combat output, since I'm the striker of the group... Do I up the strength for extra damage every time? Up str and dex for damge and AC help? or Dual Wield for 2 longswords, which has the possibility to create more damage, but less is guaranteed,
and increase AC... or to I add battle master maneuvers, which limit the long term damage output for 1 time tricks that can turn a melee? Or should I add to my spell mod?

As a player, I like the angst of the choice and the commitment to one. It also makes me yearn for the next time I get a choice. I wouldn't mind getting both, of course, for powers sake. But for me as a player, it makes it less of an achievement the next boost.

After reading through the various books I can equate the following:

• A feat equates to a +2 ability score increase.
  • A +2 ability score increase equates to a +1 ability modifier increase.
  • If we look at the monster creation rules (in the DMG), if the creature’s attack bonus is 2 (or more) above average (similar to having two free feats) then the creatures CR should be increased by 1 for every 2 above.

So for every feat and ability score increase they take I'll increase their effective level by 1/2.

Remove ads