• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats and Classes (Wyre)

the Jester

Legend
Thank you for posting your chain of logic, I find it fascinating.

The concept that character wealth is roughly worth a feat is a very interesting way to look at it. I must look closer. Do you have a link to U_K's thread discussing it, perchance?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Finding UK's threads is easy. Sort the threads in House Rules according to length; they are the ones at the top.

Actually finding what you are looking for... that's hard. I don't recall if justification for this equivalence was ever brought forward. But IIRC it was illustrated by a reference to Vow of Poverty. I no longer own the BoED, so I can't remember whether its benefits are more than, less than, or exactly equal to 1 feat/level. Considering it's an exalted feat I doubt it would be less, at least at non-epic levels.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Another chain-of-logic feat:
[sblock]
I wanted a feat that would allow creatures to get the improved form of self-incarnation early. I thought- why not a feat that gives 8 virtual hit dice? These dice would fool the feat into thinking your ECL was 8 higher than it actually was, but would count for nothing else. But of course a feat should be useful by itself, even if the motivation for designing it is synergy with another feat. And then I thought; well, why not make the virtual hit dice help against attacks that vary according to the victim's level? Like the blasphemy line of spells, or many of the symbols. But this was hard to balance, because "resistance to effects that vary according to your HD" is not a standard effect. And it seems logical that virtual HD would grant virtual HP as well, to help protects against power words and the like. A creature who resists holy words should also resist power words, right?

Now resistance (in the form of virtual HD) is clearly worth less than immunity, but how much is immunity worth? UK's Challenging Challenge Ratings PDF says that immunity to disease and immunity to poison are each worth a feat. Immunity to sleep, paralysis and stunning are each worth half a feat. My intuition is that immunity to effects that check hit dice or hit points is worth more than a feat, but not a whole lot more. For example, it is clearly weaker than a broad immunity like immunity to mind affecting effects, which UK says is worth 2.5 feats. So the question was to make the resistance low enough to not be equivalent to immunity (e.g. +50 HD would be too much), but high enough to provide a real benefit (e.g. +2 HD would rarely make a difference). To me at least, 8 doesn't seem obviously unreasonable (and defensive benefits are rarely unbalancing). Does anyone have a different intuition?

The tricky part was to write the benefit and flavor text in such a way that it synergized with feats like self-incarnation but not with feats like practised spellcaster. Or otherwise have unexpected ramifications. This feat will make planar binding spells difficult, but that seems appropriate. Is there any other class of effects that I should be taking into account? [/sblock]

Great Soul (General)
You do exceptionally well in situations that call for a strong life force.
Benefit:When determining the effects of an ability that checks effective character level (ECL) or hit dice, you are treated as if you had 8 racial hit dice. These hit dice do not add to your saves, BAB, maximum skill ranks or hit points, do not fulfill prerequisites, do not under any circumstances improve your class abilities or caster level, and do not affect the rate in which you gain experience, levels, or level dependent feats and ability score increases. They do improve your ability to resist spells like blasphemy, circle of death, cloudkill or daze, and let you bear eight more negative levels without perishing. An effect that checks hit points (like power word kill) treats each of these virtual hit dice as adding 4+con modifier to your hit point total, but only to determine whether you are adversely affected by the effect; the results of a status spell, for example, would not be affected.

Just one other note: If the mechanic for "embracing the void" is ever clarified (i.e. getting the Chthonic template) this feat should help.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Deep Reservoir
You can give from your personal essence with fewer ill effects.
Benefit: Gain 750 experience points for each character level you currently possess. You gain an additional 750 experience points whenever you advance a level through adventuring. These experience points cannot be used to advance character levels, but can be used for any other purpose; creating magic items, casting spells with xp components, and so on.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Thanks gamecat!

Many of the outsiders that appear in Sepulchrave's Story Hour are as revised by Pants. (See his comments in posts 9, 25 and 36 of this thread. He writes "Pants, I'm yoinking everything that you can pump out." The links to the rest of Pants's threads follow.

Revising the Yugoloths

Demodands/Gehreleths Revised

Demons/daemons/devils, New/Converted

The Forces of Good!

(Note that Sep has his own take on angels, so these might not be entirely accurate either.)

Conversion - Revised Demons/Daemons/Devils Part Deux!

On the last Pants thread I noted that Narzugons carry too much gear to be able to benefit from their innate greater teleport ability. After some discussion I proposed the following feat. It should be a bonus feat for narzugons, armanites, and mariliths:

Robust Teleport
Your ability to teleport is proportionate to your physical strength and mass.
Prerequisites: able to use greater teleport as a spell-like ability.
Benefit: When you use your greater teleport ability you may take along objects whose total weight is up to your maximum medium load. Furthermore, the share spells ability applies to your greater teleport ability. For example, familiars or fiendish servants could teleport along with their master.
Normal: Self plus 50 pounds of objects only, and the share spells ability does not normally apply to spell-like abilities.

(why the familiars/fiendish servant/animal companion? Because the link between them and their master allows *their* physical strength and mass to come into play as well. With this feat the greater teleport SLA is about halfway to the greater teleport spell, which allows multiple subjects and maximum encumberance.)

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
A variant of another class I designed. A campaign which lacks the Claviger or a strong Wizard's Injunction might find this especially useful. A Wyre campaign set in the Thalassine, say, or one with an alternate history.

I think it may suffer a little bit from "Favored Enemy Syndrome"- useless unless the DM provides the appropriate kinds of encounters. Early levels are focused against buff/scry/teleport, or against outsiders who teleport around alot. It is also good if the bad guys use summon monster spells, or like to conjure magical walls. Critters like Ice Devils also use wall of ice, but true blows knocks them down pretty fast. Not too exciting stuff, but its easy to qualify for. Besides, the higher level abilities are nifty; an always on protection from... is very nice, and the interloper abilities are good against three very common types of high level opponents; undead, constructs, and outsiders.

Guardian of the Green

Uedii, the Goddess, the Green Reality, groaned as yet another extraplanar entity desecrated her realm by manifesting within its confines. She was still far from her limit – as far as tolerating the interlopers was concerned. Her near-infinite capacity for absorption had, in the past, accommodated entire pantheons of warring gods, before she squashed them like flies.

Nonetheless, Nature was irritated.

Hit Dice: d8.

Requirements
To become a Guardian of the Green, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: True Neutral, or any Neutral with True Neutral tendencies
BAB: +6
Knowledge (Nature): 4 ranks
Feats: Power Attack, Alertness
Spellcasting: Must have a spell-like ability or be able to cast spells.
Special: A prospective Guardian of the Green must have defeated one or more extraplanar monsters in a challenging encounter.

Class Skills
The Guardian of the Green’s class skills (and the key ability for each
skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Speak Language (None), Spot (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str). See Chapter Four: Skills in the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions.

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Level...BAB...Fort.....Ref….Will... Special
1.........+1.....+0......+2....+2.... fair warning
2.........+2.....+0......+3....+3.... follow through
3.........+3.....+1......+3....+3.... native plane, true blows
4.........+4.....+1......+4....+4.... sudden attack
5.........+5.....+1......+4....+4.... turnabout
6.........+6.....+2......+5....+5.... native plane, planeshift
7.........+7.....+2......+5....+5.... protection from interlopers
8.........+8.....+2......+6....+6.... discern interloper
9.........+9.....+3......+6....+6.... native plane, slay interloper, sanctuary

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Guardian of the Green prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Guardian of the Green gains no other weapon or armor proficiencies.

Fair Warning (Ex): A Guardian of the Green’s sensitivity to planar effects gives her a moment's warning against dimensionally travelling opponents. She receives her Dexterity bonus (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed by a conjured, summoned, or teleporting opponent. This ability applies only when the creature in question was summoned, conjured or teleported in the previous round.

Follow Through (Ex): A Guardian of the Green deals efficiently with conjured or summoned creatures. Her awareness of when the creature will drop helps her transfer the momentum of her attack to another target. When she drops a conjured or summoned creature the Guardian of the Green gains the benefit of the Cleave feat. If she already possesses Cleave, she gets Great Cleave instead.

Native Plane (Ex): At third, sixth and ninth level the Guardian of the Green may choose a plane in which she has spent at least a week, and which is sufficiently natural to be considered part of the Green. (DM fiat, but few planes other than the Prime qualify. The plane of Faerie is one such plane, as are some demiplanes related to Faerie.) This plane is considered a native plane, along with the plane where the Guardian was born. While on these planes she is treated as a native (e.g. cannot be banished) and gains the benefits of the avoid planar effects spell. The Guardian may delay her choice of a plane past the indicated level, but cannot choose two planes at the same level.

True Blows (Su): Walls and objects created by magic, and which therefore do not belong in the world, have subtle vulnerabilties that the Guardian of the Green has learned to exploit. The Guardian of the Green does double damage if she recognizes such objects as magical and attempts to sunder them.

Sudden Attack (Ex): The Guardian of the Green’s increasing sensitivity to planar effects allows her to prepare an attack against an opponent who has not yet materialized. She may make an extra attack against any conjured, summoned, or teleporting opponent who has appeared in the previous round. This counts as a use of an attack of opportunity.

Turnabout (Ex): Awareness of subtle eddies of the Green further enhances a Guardian of the Green’s combat ability. She can no longer be flanked by summoned or conjured creatures, or by creatures who have teleported in the previous round. While on a native plane she cannot be flanked by any creature who is undead, a construct, or who has the [extraplanar] subtype. This ability is otherwise treated as the Improved Uncanny Dodge class ability.

Planeshift (Sp): At 6th level the Guardian of the Green can use planeshift once per day as a sorcerer of twice her class level. She may only planeshift to one of her native planes.

Protection from Interlopers (Su): This ability functions like a protection from evil cast by a sorcerer of the Guardian’s class level, except that instead of providing protection from creatures of a specific alignment, the Guardian of the Green is protected from creatures with who are undead, constructs or who have the [extraplanar] subtype. The other functions of the spell remain unchanged. Protection from interlopers only functions while the Guardian is on a native plane. The protection effect can be dispelled or dismissed, but may be restored as a free action at the beginning of the Guardian of the Green’s turn.

Discern Interloper (Ex): The Guardian’s sensitivity to the Green allows her to locate creatures who are alien to it. When on a native plane she gains the benefits of Blindsense (30 ft. range) and Blind-fight against any creature who is undead, a construct, or who has the [extraplanar] subtype. The Guardian of the Green does not know anything else about the creature, only that it is from outside the Green.

Slay Interloper (Su): This special ability works only when the Guardian of the Green is on a native plane. Whenever she succeeds in a melee attack against a creature who is undead, a construct, or who has the [extraplanar] subtype, the margin of her success is applied as a power attack. If the Guardian of the Green has multiple attacks, the amount of “automatic” power attack is calculated separately for each attack. In no case can the amount deducted exceed the Guardian’s BAB.

Sanctuary (Sp): At 9th level the Guardian's planeshift ability may be used for transport within a native plane, though she will likely arrive many miles off target. However, if she has a designated sanctuary, she may choose to transport herself and her companions there as if by a word of recall. This function is in addition to the planeshift ability.

Note: If a Guardian of the Green acquires an extreme alignment (LG, CG, CE or LE), she loses the benefit of her abilities against outsiders whose subtypes overlap with her new alignment. For example, a Lawful Good guardian loses the benefits of this class against extraplanar creatures with the [good] or [law] subtypes. Similar penalties befall a Guardian who embodies any sort of moral or ethical extreme. This could involve taking a level of a class with the aura class ability, or taking a vile or exalted feat. For example, a Guardian of the Green who becomes a cleric of a lawful deity loses her powers against extraplanar creatures with the [law] subtype.

Note: “Teleport” refers to any spell or effect with the [teleportation] descriptor. This includes spells like dimension door and gate. It also applies to creatures who materialize from the ethereal plane. “Conjured or summoned” creatures include those which have been called.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I am nowhere near figuring out a good mechanic for "embracing the void" but a few related ideas are rattling around in my head. Here's one.

Withstand Corruption [General]
You withstand forces that would otherwise destroy you.
Prerequisites: Fort +3, Will +3. You must have recovered from ability damage to at least two different ability scores. You must have recovered from the ill effects from at least two of the following attack forms: energy drain, ability damage, poison or disease.
Benefit: When you would otherwise suffer ability damage or drain, reduce the damage by 1. If you have a negative ability modifier in that ability, you may also apply the modifier to the damage. For example, if your current Dexterity is 10 or higher, any Dexterity damage you receive is reduced by 1. If your Dexterity drops to 8 (giving you a -1 Dex modifier) then further Dexterity damage is reduced by 2, and so on.
Special: For the purposes of this feat, ability drain counts as ability damage.

This feat doesn't guarantee you'll survive an attack, of course. One big dose of poison could still kill you, but you should be able to survive an impressive number of smaller doses.

I think the inspiration for this feat is ray of enfeeblement, which apparently makes shadows unable to reduce you below a Strength of 1. This feat will do the same. As long as the attacks do less than 6 points of ability damage, you'll be fine.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Cheiromancer said:
Thanks gamecat!
Many of the outsiders that appear in Sepulchrave's Story Hour are as revised by Pants. (See his comments in posts 9, 25 and 36 of this thread. He writes "Pants, I'm yoinking everything that you can pump out." The links to the rest of Pants's threads follow.

You should be able to find most of that material collected on Pants' website, The Codex Malevolence. It's nice to have all the writeups together in one place.

Tirlanolir

First Post
I like your Guardian of the Green adaptation. I might allow increased spellcasting levels as well. While the abilities are impressive, they seem very specialized, and increased druidic spellcasting seems particularly important for one who is guarding the green. :)

Remove ads