• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats for a 1st Level Wizard

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yuck! I would never take Combat Casting, unless it was the pre-req to a PrC that I really really wanted to take.

Skill Focus (Concentration) does the job of Combat Casting, but covers more than just casting defensively. Damage, distracting conditions, ongoing spell effects, everything.

But I wouldn't take that at 1st level.

I'd take... hmm... Spell Focus and Improved Initiative.

Cheers, -- N

RedFox

First Post
Nifft said:
Yuck! I would never take Combat Casting, unless it was the pre-req to a PrC that I really really wanted to take.

Skill Focus (Concentration) does the job of Combat Casting, but covers more than just casting defensively.

True, Combat Casting's a big old dud.

Better to take Skill Focus (Craft Alchemy) instead. :)

MrFilthyIke

First Post
theredrobedwizard said:
Page 181 of Complete Arcane. +2 on Knowledge (Arcana), 6+Intelligence Modifier 1st level spells known at character creation, 4 spells learned at each level up.

-TRRW

Nice Feat!

I'd take that feat, plus Improved Initiative.

A wizard that goes first, Disintegrates his opponent first. ;)

jasin

Explorer
theredrobedwizard said:
Page 181 of Complete Arcane. +2 on Knowledge (Arcana), 6+Intelligence Modifier 1st level spells known at character creation, 4 spells learned at each level up.
Wow.

Is this some sort of sidebar feat, like that version of Wild Talent which gives you a power and not just power points?

I can't really see a wizard not taking this if it's just open to anyone.

jasin

Explorer
BTW, I second Improved Initiative, and also offer Quick Draw as another choice that's less obvious than the old standbys like Spell Focus. For Quick Draw, be sure to check with the DM whether you'll be able to draw scrolls or potions as a free action, since I've seen it ruled both ways.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
jasin said:
BTW, I second Improved Initiative, and also offer Quick Draw as another choice that's less obvious than the old standbys like Spell Focus. For Quick Draw, be sure to check with the DM whether you'll be able to draw scrolls or potions as a free action, since I've seen it ruled both ways.

Not at 1st level. Quickdraw has a BAB +1 prereq.

But in general, a good and non-obvious choice. Especially since, unlike an archer, you might not mind just dropping your scroll after you've used it. :)

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads