• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats for a mystic thurge?

Armadon63

First Post
Hi I was gonna play a mystic thurge and was wondering what feats i should pick. He is a dwarf with the fate and travel domains. his stats are:

str 8
dex 14
con 16
int 16
wis 16
cha 6

Crothian

First Post
meta magic feats will be really useful with the spell power they have. Likewise, craft feats will me great as you'll have access to a lot of spells.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Practised caster. Twice.

Adds +4 to your caster level in a single spellcasting class, up to your total character level.

Since the theurge has at least 3 levels in two different classes, this is a great investment.

You're effectively getting +3 caster level on every spell you cast for the price of a single feat.

Wish

First Post
Hard to say without more information (books allowed, etc.) but the obvious ones are:

1) Practiced Spellcaster. Keep your caster level high, at the cost of a feat.
2) Item creation.
3) Metamagic. Particularly Quicken (so you can blow off more of your large quantity of spells) and Empower (to get more bang from those lower level wizard spells).

Alternately, pick a second pclass and set yourself up for it, if you're going to be playing that long. A Theurge tops out at 16th level, when you're equivalent to a 13/13 caster. Archmage is a good bet, if you want to emphasise wizardry, Loremaster and Divine Oracle are good choices (with a good synergy between them) if you want to emphasise clericy.

Finally, you can do things to make up some of what you give away being a theurge. Pick up feats like Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness, or Weapon Focus. Or shore up some of the general weaknesses of spellcasters with Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple, Clever Wrestling, or Close Combat Fighting.

Armadon63

First Post
What book is the practiced caster out of?

NM found it in complete divine. Thanks guys

Also what do you guys think of Combat Expertise?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Combat expertise is only going to be useful if you plan to be in combat and attacking with a weapon. I'd concentrate on other feats that help the strength of the class; the spellcasting.

green slime

First Post
Mystic Theurge's do not get a lot of feats so you'll need to be very careful as to what you choose. Practised Spellcaster twice is about the only must have. Personally I'd favour the Item Creation feats, but it does depend on whether you'll be getting the down time in game to utilize them.

Otherwise Heighten Spell, Earth Sense, and Earth Spell (last two from Races of Stone) work nicely for the theurge. Expensive in feats, but worthwhile, and apropriate for a dwarf, IMO

Domain Spontaneity, is another nice feat from Complete Divine.

Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration are not very sexy, but almost obligatory. At least, if you want to cast offensive spells at later levels.

And that about summons it up...

1st: Earth Sense
3rd: Practised Spellcaster (cleric)
6th: Practised Spellcaster (wizard)
9th: Spell Penetration
12th: Domain Spontaneity (Travel)
15th: Greater Spell Penetration
18th: Earth Spell
18th: (5th Wizard level?) Heighten Spell

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
green slime said:
Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration are not very sexy, but almost obligatory. At least, if you want to cast offensive spells at later levels.
Personally I think you're far better off just using some conjurations instead of stuff which suffers SR. Especially if you're a theurge, and your breadth of spell availability is basically what you're building the character for.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads