• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats for free

SylverFlame

First Post
Here's the idea bouncing my head.

I have been toying with this idea for a while because I what my PCs (when I start DMing again) to be heroic characters, and I want to throw bigger monsters at them.

Essentially I am increasing the feat progression for some of the Core Classes (haven't worked it out yet) and am intending to add one feat to the CL table progression.

On top of this, I am toying with "award feats" for finishing nasty quests and such.

THis is all tied into a learned/intuitive feat learning system where certain in-game conditions must be met to access certain feats.

TIed to this will be "Hero Points" which were described in a Wyrm's Turn editoral many, many moons ago. Essentially, the Hero Points will allow nasty rules bending for characters including one time usage of feats they don't have. I will be giving NPC's a lesser access to Hero POints. Hero points will also be HIGHLY rare, and it wouldn't be unforeseen if a 20th level char only ever had 4 or 5 in their career.

Now, the heart of my problem: Just how much does this unbalance the system as is? I don't want to REALLY mess things up, nor do I want overpower the players even though they have a few (read two or three) more feats then they normally would.

Just what level of balance would be necessary.

Oh yeah, last thing, all enemies would recieve similar, slightly toned down abilities depending on CR. That is, a goblin would get nothing, while a Lich or Dragon would get equal treatment to the PCs.

Airwolf

First Post
I think this is kind of a variation on what you suggested, but you might be able to use it as well.

We (I split the DM duties with another guy) have in the past given 'magic' items that award specific feats to the user. Sometimes these are weapons some times they are other items.

The players all seem to like this idea and it gives them something to think about. Do I take the +2 sword, or do I keep the +1 with the cleave feat?

I think it would be hard to just award more feats and keep balance. The way we do it, the feats usually 'leave' the character at some point.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck!

SylverFlame

First Post
I likes, I likes...

Definitly a good way to balance things. How high would you rank a feat on the plus chart? For cost and stuff I mean. It also gives a neat new way to take the item creation rules.

Airwolf

First Post
SylverFlame said:
I likes, I likes...

Definitly a good way to balance things. How high would you rank a feat on the plus chart? For cost and stuff I mean. It also gives a neat new way to take the item creation rules.

As a rule of thumb, any item that gets a feat that has no pre-reqs is the same as a +1 bonus.

If the item has a feat that normally would require a pre-req it is a +2 item.

We have not given any items out with feats that require more that one pre-req. We would probably just continue with the same type of progression, ( feat with two pre-reqs would be +3, feat with 3 pre-reqs would be +4, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Airwolf

FANGO

First Post
There is precedent for items giving feats...there are a couple items out there that grant feats, such as gloves of arrow snaring and many intelligent items. Usually they are priced anywhere from 4-15k, from what I've seen, so it seems like it's a fairly subjective system. For the most basic feats, I think 4k or 8k isn't too bad, but for more exotic feats or ones that require prerequisites the cost should probably be 10k or maybe even more. For the record, I think the general rule to have a feat be a +1 on a sword (which means a minimum of 6k), or +2 with a prereq, etc. is probably pretty fair, and I would maybe even suggest this to my own group (as I think we do far too little granting of special awards when we finish adventures (free feats, neat abilities, etc.)).

Technik4

First Post
More Feats

Feats are fun, and it seems characters dont get enough. Hows this for a simple way? Base it on HD*.

d12: Bonus Feat 4th level
d10: Bonus feat 3rd level
d8: Bonus Feat 2nd level
d6: Bonus Feat 4th level
d4: Bonus Feat 3rd level

Then you just restrict the bonus feat to something related to the class. This will somewhat dilute fighters, but it also gives them a feat every level till 5th, which is a LOT of feats. Also, by giving every class 1 extra feat you arent really breaking the game, especially if each character chooses at least 1 "fun" feat, one that is just flavorful and cool but usually not justified.

*- Why base it on HD? Well, you could base it on each particular class but that seems like more hassle. This will partly counter the "time-to-get-out" syndrome people feel with multiclassing. Why take more than 2 levels of barbarian when you need feats to do cool stuff in combat? Well, this way a barbarian has that feat at 4th level to look forward to. Similarly, all the fighting classes pick up an extra at 3rd, more feats for a fighter can't hurt, and with restricted lists, allows a paladin or ranger to spread their wings a little. As for d8, well now we're talking monks, clerics, and druids. These classes arent multiclassed much, and they could all use a boost early on (except cleric, of course). Bards have to wait till 4th becausee 3 is the rogues magic number. Finally sorcerors have something to look forward to at 3rd level, 2 feats! Wizards can also expand their ever-increasing repotoire.

Technik

Remove ads