• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats for Monks...

Scion

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Which in the end is the big problem with exalted and Vows... they railroad characters somewhat...

Problem? I thought that was the 'point' ;) Restrictions to help balance out the beanies (I have played a vop character, it is 'very' restricted, but still a lot of fun).

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Strange coincidence - I'm putting together a VoP monk today too. :) I'm looking for a good 3.5 PrC to go into; looking at ShadowDancer right now, but not real committed yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what is a good way for a monk VoP character to independently heal himself? The few points for being a monk are nice, but I'd like something that works more often (and won't stop improving if I go into ShadowDancer).

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Strange coincidence - I'm putting together a VoP monk today too. :) I'm looking for a good 3.5 PrC to go into; looking at ShadowDancer right now, but not real committed yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Whip out your back issues of Dragon.

# 318 has the 3.5 Henshin Mystic from OA. If you take it after Monk-10, you can get both Ki Strike (holy) and Ki Strike (Adamantine) (otherwise, you get Ki Strike (lawful), if you don't have it already). You can also go back into Monk, and then switch out your Monk-16 level to get Ki Strike (Cold Iron) instead of Adamantine (which you already have due to going through Henshin Mystic).

# 319 has the Shen, which is an animal style kung fu monk. You have several flavors to choose from, but the cool bits are the Ki Strike (silver) and Ki Strike (Cold Iron) you eventually get, as well as uncanny dodge and (slightly) better physical stats when you shift into a hybrid form. The downside is that it doesn't specifically say you can go back into monk.

Both have middle BAB, all good saves, and stack with monk levels for unarmed damage, AC, and speed.

Also, for healing, you can take the Saint template, which gives you fast healing.

Brad

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
Ki Ryn I've just about finished building my VoP monk... but he is a high 14th lvl monk. Not sure my advice is practical for other levels.

I say unless the PrC gives full monk "benefits" it might not be a good idea to diversify. Especially in high level not having the full Spell Resistance can suck badly. Even better than having overall good saves is having a good SR too. Roughly you get to resist 45-50% of spells. Flurry of blows and other abilities might suffer. Stun DC is the most serious. I think Stun is a great ability... though I haven't used it in game. Less levels of Monk hurt the DC.

As for healing himself... I think there is a VoP ability in 17th lvl for Regenerating. You always could get 1 lvl of Cleric and with high Wis bonus get 2 extra 1st lvl spells :)

Also with those sanctify and holy strike... you do a respectable +2d6 damage against evil... not much need for a good Str stat in my view now.

Rashak Mani

First Post
I managed a good Con score... helped by the VoP too. So I didn't go for the improved toughness... when you have high AC, good saves, DR and SR. More HPs don't seem that important.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Ki Ryn said:

Also, what is a good way for a monk VoP character to independently heal himself? The few points for being a monk are nice, but I'd like something that works more often (and won't stop improving if I go into ShadowDancer).

I am running a monk with VoP too. Perhaps we could form some sort of club. :)

Anyhow, I am leaning towards taking a level of cleric at 12th, and then going Sacred Fist. A little more hittin' and some self (and other!) healing with the cleric level eqivalents. I agree, losing the SR will hurt, but such is life.

My plan B is Risen Martyr. I am not planning to be Martyred, but have all the pre-req's lined up, just in case.

Dthamilaye

First Post
Try this:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=48573&highlight=monk

There are many good monk feats:

(Combat expertise) + Karmic Strike (CW) +
TWF + ITWF + Double attack (MiniHB)
Defensive throw (CW) and get a trip if they miss.
(Power attack) + Improved critical + Roundabout kick (CW)
Unbalancing strike (Oriental Adventures)
Improved natural attack
Knockdown (S&F)
(Dodge) + (Mobility) + Sidestep (MiniHB)
Deft Opportunist (MiniHB) (If you go the way of Karmic Strike/Doubleattack)

For builds, check
Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East - FR)
Henshin mystic (Oriental adventures)
Shintao monk (Oriental adventures)
(4 lvls of Singh rager (OA) (Gets lion's pounce))

Check my build from the last page of the Monk creation thread.

Last edited:

Remove ads