Feats for the Unusual Wizard

Ferret

Explorer
I get it, why not explain how it being 'deharmonized' makes someone who studies it take damage. But it sounds like a good idea.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Honestly, I think the dispelling feats are a little to powerful. Maybe at +2/+2. If my Current Wizard had both those feats (which is actually impossible since abjuration is a forbidden school for him), he would get a +22 on his check (since he's 14th level). That's pretty dang powerful. That right there would guarantee him dispelling any spell cast by a 12th level or lower caster. Seems too much.

the Jester

Legend
Dimwhit said:
Honestly, I think the dispelling feats are a little to powerful. Maybe at +2/+2. If my Current Wizard had both those feats (which is actually impossible since abjuration is a forbidden school for him), he would get a +22 on his check (since he's 14th level). That's pretty dang powerful. That right there would guarantee him dispelling any spell cast by a 12th level or lower caster. Seems too much.

Yeah, that is pretty good... my thinking was that, as it's so darn limited (basically to one spell and its permutations) it should be pretty darn good. To get the greater version, you need to invest three feats (including SF Abjuration), none of which are good for much else.

Keep in mind, too, that with a standard dispel, you still max out at +18 (since the base bonus maxes out at +10 and you have two +4s on top of it).

Again, with the prerequisites in mind, is this too powerful? I tentatively think it's okay, having given a lot of thought to it... but maybe you're right, maybe it is too much. Still, I really think +2/+2 is too little for such a restricted feat; but as these feats are still in development, my mind is far from made up.

Dimwhit

Explorer
the Jester said:
Yeah, that is pretty good... my thinking was that, as it's so darn limited (basically to one spell and its permutations) it should be pretty darn good. To get the greater version, you need to invest three feats (including SF Abjuration), none of which are good for much else.

Keep in mind, too, that with a standard dispel, you still max out at +18 (since the base bonus maxes out at +10 and you have two +4s on top of it).

Again, with the prerequisites in mind, is this too powerful? I tentatively think it's okay, having given a lot of thought to it... but maybe you're right, maybe it is too much. Still, I really think +2/+2 is too little for such a restricted feat; but as these feats are still in development, my mind is far from made up.

True, I didn't notice the SF Abjuration requirement. But I'm assuming it can be used with Greater Dispel as well, right?

I suppose it would be fine, given the limited focus. But the PC that takes all three is going to be a dispelling machine!

Remove ads