• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats in Magic Items

Orco42

First Post
A while ago I started trying to figure out the costs of feats on magic items.

I think the cost was normally 10,000 gp for a non-epic feat, and 100,000 gp for an epic feat.

Which actually made a lot of sense since the cost epic magic items is 10x that of a normal item.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Hm.. I woudln't put a single price on all feats, since some have higher prerequisites, and require other feats. And some are more useful than others.

Kevin O'Reilly

First Post
I agree that there proabably isn't a one cost fits all.

Consider - What is the cost of weapon focus on an item? equal to a +1 bonus, or half a +1 bonus, or less because most fighters will have these feats and they won't stack.

However, Spell Focus in an item is very powerful. Skill Focus is pretty good also; what cost to put skill focus hide on a cloak of the elvin kind?

On a different note; feats are learned by sentient beings. How do you put just a feat in an item without it being sentient?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Another tricky little detail in assigning a price is that feats from intelligent items are slotless. Sort of.

So one could argue that they cost 8000-10000 on an intelligent item, but a Ring of Combat Reflexes should be 4000-5000.

jontherev

First Post
The Glove of Balanced Hands from the Magic of Faerun, which grants the TWF feat (OR, if you already have it, the ITWF feat!) costs just over 18000.

Orco42

First Post
I'd say to set the cost for a feat at 10,000gp (or 100,000 if it is epic) and then adjust it up or down on how powerful you (the DM) thinks the feat is.

Actually they grant you both TWF (or ITWF) and Ambidexterity. All for 18,000.

Edit- Now I am working on making a list of the costs of specific feats. So far I have found a couple (Imp. Disarm and Imp. Unarmed Strike) that only cost 1,000 gp.

I am just a fraction of the way through Magic o' Faerun, after that I will check the DMG and a few others.

Last edited:

Teydyn

First Post
When you are going to add feats to magic items DONT simply make the cost 5k per feat. Do you really think Dodge is as much worth as Whirlwind attack?

Arcanus

First Post
Maybe you should add an additional (lets say) 5,000 gp for each feat that is in the prerequisites for the feat being gained.

So if you want Spring Attack in an item add an additional 10,000 gp for Dodge & Mobility being the prerequisites for that feat.

If the item is going to give you the ability without you having the prerequisite feats anyway add an additional 3000-5000 gp.

Dunno just guessing on it.

You could always go this route in 2 D20 books on the market right now there are 2 things that could help you out to give you feats permently without taking up item slots. However they can be dispelled.

AEGs Mercenaries- has a Potion or Salve of Permanence that when mixed with any potion it makes the potions effects permanent. All for a cost of 25000 gp.

MGP quintessential Wizard- has a spell called War Mastery or something. This spell is 3rd level and gives any person a FEAT that they can qualify for that is a Fighter bonus feat. So this spell can be made into a potion that would cost about 750 gp.

combine both potions and for 25750 gp you gain a feat until someone dispells the potions effect on you.

Orco42

First Post
Teydyn said:
When you are going to add feats to magic items DONT simply make the cost 5k per feat. Do you really think Dodge is as much worth as Whirlwind attack?

You are correct. The cost for one feat will be different from another based either on "power" (a very loose term) or by prereqs.

I think dodge would cost around 1k and whirlwind 15k. These are rough estimates, I am still making a list of costs from books by wizards.

[Edit]- Also, according to Everwhirling Chain [ELH], it looks like you can add Improved Combat Reflexes onto an item for negitive 560k gold. Wow an Epic feat and over a half a million in free gold! Sign me up! ;)

Last edited:

mkletch

First Post
I asked SKR this question about a month ago, and he said there was no formula for it. All 'official' items were all 'compare to another item' in terms of their pricing. He did forward an idea for 5kgp for a feat with no prerequisites, or if the user had to fulfill the prerequisites to gain the feat. If it had some other requirement that you would not have to fulfill (e.g. ranks in Ride for Mounted Combat or Int 13+ for Expertise), then you would ad hoc the cost, maybe double.

I still haven't figured how I want to implement them in my game, though...

-Fletch!

Remove ads