• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats of the 4 Words

Meatboy

First Post
Hey again all. Here is an rather exstensive list of feats I have designed for my HB campaign setting. I have posted some of these before but have made more than enough changes I think to warrent a repost.
All of these feats are combat oriented ones and were made because I like to play fighters but, I find that they are seriously lacking in the interesting things to do during combat department and so tried to give them some stuff to make them more fun to play. I got tired of just rolling dice till I hit something... I also tried to make some feats to steer fighters away from being walking weapon racks. This also is needed because my HB setting is magic reduced.
I have divided the feats into three main groups and would greatly appreciate some serious feedback on it. To any who take the time to reply, and considering this list it might take alot of time. Thank you.

First here are the offensive feats.

Furious Strike
You may give up extra attacks in favor of damage.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6.
Benefits: By taking a full attack action and forgoing any extra attacks you gain a extra 1d8 points of damage to your melee attack for every iterative attack you can make. If the attack is a critical hit apply the extra damage after the critical hit damage has been resolved.
Special: A fighter may select this as one of their bonus fighter feats.

Imbalanced Two Weapon Fighting
You are trained at using oversized and unbalanced weapons in you off hand.
Prerequisites: Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Two Weapon Fighting, Dexterity 15, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: Choose a one handed melee weapon with which you are proficient and posses weapon focus for. This type of weapon is treated as a light weapon for purposes of two weapon fighting.
Special: You may gain this feat multiple times it's effects do not stack. Instead it applies to a new weapon each time. A fighter may select this as one of their bonus fighter feats.

Improved Mercurial Strike
You are able at making both quick and accurate strikes is rapid succession.
Prerequisites: Weapon finesse and Weapon focus with chosen weapon, Mercurial Strike, Base Attack Bonus +4.
Benefits: When using mercurial strike the penalty is lessened to -2 for all attacks.
Special: You may gain this feat multiple times it's effects do not stack. Instead it applies to a new weapon each time. A fighter may select this as one of their bonus fighter feats.

Lunge
You can make an attack of great speed.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: By taking a full attack action you make a single at your highest base attack bonus. With this you can choose to take up to a -5 penalty to your AC and add a like number to your to your attack roll. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty to AC lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

Melee Expertise
Your melee attacks are extremely powerful.
Prerequisites: Weapon focus with 2 melee weapons, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: You gain +1 damage to all melee attacks.
Special:You may take this feat multiple times and each time you do its effects stack. Your bonus to damage can never exceed your base attack bonus. A fighter may select this as one of their bonus fighter feats.

Mercurial Strike
You know how to make blindingly fast attacks at the expense of accuracy.
Prerequisites: Weapon finesse and Weapon focus with chosen weapon, Base Attack Bonus +1.
Benefits: You choose a type of weapon to which you have applied both weapon finesse and weapon focus. As a full round action you gain an extra attack with your main hand. This attack and all attacks in the same round are at a -4 penalty. This ability does not stack with either two weapon fighting or a monks flurry of blows. If carrying a shield the armor check penalty applies to yout attack roll.

Momentous Charge
You are able to take advantage of the momentum of a charge.
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Strength 13, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: For every 5 feet moved during a charge attack you gain a +1 bonus to damage. This bonus damage may not exceed your base attack bonus.

Power Lunge
Your lunge attacks are particularly damaging.
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Lunge, Dexterity 13, Strength 13, Base Attack Bonus +3
Benefits: When making a lunge attack you gain the same bonus to your damage as you do to your attack rolls. This ability can't be used in conjunction with power attack.

Ranged Expertise
Your ranged attacks are extremely powerful.
Prerequisites: Weapon focus with 2 ranged weapons, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: You gain +1 damage to all ranged attacks.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times and each time you do its effects stack. Your bonus to damage can never exceed your base attack bonus. A fighter may select this as one of their bonus fighter feats.

Strike Through
Your knowledge of battle has given you the ability to find the weakness in the toughest armor.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13, Base Attack Bonus +5.
Benefits: Once per day you can make one melee attack into a touch attack. You must declare your intent before the attack roll is made, thus a failed attack is a wasted attempt.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken you gain an additional use per day. A fighter may select this as one of their bonus fighter feats.

Tremendous Blow
You know how to focus your energy into a single devastating strike.
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Strength 13, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: This difficult maneuver takes two rounds to properly complete. During the first round you must focus on the attack you are going to make and during this round you may not attack or take any action besides moving. If you take damage while focusing thusly you lose focus and must start again next round. If you manage to maintain focus until your next round you may take a full round action and make a single attack at your highest base attack. This attack is considered to be a critical hit (not a threat), if it hits.

Weapon Precision
Your skill with a particular weapon is such that you can make sure you always leave your mark with it.
Prerequisites: Weapon focus and weapon specialization with your chosen weapon, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefits: On a successful attack you can choose to re-roll one dice of damage and take the better result.

Next are the defensive feats. I am especialy interested to hear what is thought about the parry and dodge abilities. I like to think that they might be able to make combat a much more interesting affair instead of just roll after roll after roll.....

Armored Defense
You are extremely well trained in the use of armor and shields.
Prerequisites: Fighter of at least 4th level
Benefits: Your class bonus to AC and your armor bonus stack.
Normal: One’s class AC bonus and Armor bonus do not stack. Armor bonuses always supersede class AC bonuses.

Armor Focus
You choose a specific type of armor or shield, such as chain mail. You are especially good at functioning in it
Prerequisites: Proficiency with the armor type you wish to focus in.
Benefits: Your maximum dexterity bonus allowed in the armor is increased by 1 and your armor check penalty decreases by 2, to minimum of 0.

Armor Specialization
Choose a single armor or shield type with which you already have selected armor focus for. With this armor you gain an additional armor bonus to AC.
Prerequisites: Proficiency with the armor or shield type you want to specialize with and armor focus already applied to that armor or shield type, Fighter of at least 4th level
Benefits: With your chosen armor or shield you gain an additional +1 armor bonus to AC.

Armored Mobility
Choose a single armor or shield type with which you already have selected armor focus for. With this armor you gain unhindered movement.
Prerequisites: Proficiency with the armor or shield type you want to specialize with and armor focus already applied to that armor or shield type.
Benefits: With your chosen armor or shield you are able to ignore the penalties to base speed associated with that armor type. Your armor check penalty also decreases by 1, to minimum of 0, this decrease stacks with the decrease granted by armor focus for a total of -3 to armor check penalties.

(This feat supercedes the dodge feat in the PHB. The standard benefits of the dodge feat are given to every class as a class AC bonus.)

Dodge
You are adept at dodging blows.
Prerequisites: Tumble 1 rank, Dexterity 13.
Benefits: When you are attacked in melee, but before the attack dice is rolled, you can choose to dodge a blow. To do this you must not have used your attack of opportunity for the round and dodging requires using an attack of opportunity. You then make a tumble check against the attack roll. If your roll beats the attack roll then you take no damage. If your roll meets or is lower than the attack roll you take damage as normal and you fall prone. If you are denied your dexterity bonus you or similarly unable to defend yourself you may not dodge.

Side Step
You are not only adept at dodging you also know how to use your momentum to movement.
Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Tumble 1 rank, Dexterity 13.
Benefits: After a successful dodge you may make an immediate five foot step, which does not provoke an attack of opportunity. This step requires the use of one of your attacks of opportunity for the round. You must move into an unoccupied space.

Parry
You are skilled at actively diverting attacks.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: When you are attacked in melee, but before the attack dice is rolled, you can choose to parry a blow. To do this you must not have used your attack of opportunity for the round and parrying requires using an attack of opportunity. You then make an attack roll against the opponent’s attack roll. If your roll beats the attack roll then you take no damage. If your roll meets or is lower than the attack roll you take damage as normal and are considered flat footed until the beginning of your next round. If you are denied your dexterity bonus you or similarly unable to defend yourself you may not parry. You can only parry an attack from an opponent 1 size category larger than yourself or smaller.

Parrying Riposte
You are skilled at not only parrying but also at counter attacking
Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Parry, Dexterity 13, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefits: After a successful parry you may make an immediate attack of opportunity, which is made at your highest base attack bonus. This attack requires the use of one of your attacks of opportunity for the round. You may only attack the opponent that originally attacked you.

Thick Skin
You are particularly resistant to damage.
Prerequisites: Toughness, Constitution 13, Base Attack Bonus +5.
Benefits: Every time you take damage you convert an amount of damage equal to your constitution modifier into non lethal damage. You also ignore an equal amount of non lethal damage.

Opportunistic Riposte
You know how to take advantage of your opponent’s mistakes.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: When an opponent with whom you are engaged in melee rolls a natural one on their attack roll, you may make an immediate attack of opportunity, which is made at your highest base attack bonus. This attack requires the use of one of your attacks of opportunity for the round. You may only attack the opponent that originally attacked you.

Finaly there are the unarmed combat feats. They came about pretty much because I had made an unarmed fighter class that actually works better as feat trees. So I mulched it up and here is what I got. Plus a few other ideas just for kicks.

Greater Unarmed Strike
Your unarmed attacks deal more damage.
Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: Your unarmed attacks deal 1d6 damage (for medium creatures). You can choose to deal either lethal or non lethal damage. This ability does not stack with a monks unarmed damage bonus.

Greater Unarmed Strike II
Prerequisites: Greater Unarmed Strike, Improved unarmed strike, Base Attack Bonus +4
Benefits: Your unarmed attacks deal 1d8 damage (for medium creatures). You can choose to deal either lethal or non lethal damage. This ability does not stack with a monks unarmed damage bonus.

Greater Unarmed Strike III
Prerequisites: Greater Unarmed Strike, Greater Unarmed Strike II,
Improved unarmed strike, Base Attack Bonus +8
Benefits: Your unarmed attacks deal 1d10 damage (for medium creatures). You can choose to deal either lethal or non lethal damage. This ability does not stack with a monks unarmed damage bonus.

Haymaker
You are able to throw a devastating punch
Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefits: As a full round action you make a single unarmed melee strike using your full base attack bonus -4. If the attack hits you deal double damage. If the attack misses you are considered flat footed until the beginning of your next round.

Martial Throw
You can use leverage and skill to throw your opponents around.
Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike, Improved Grapple, Improved Trip, Combat Expertise, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13.
Benefits: First make an melee touch attack against the opponent you wish to throw. If this succeeds make a an opposed grapple check. If that check is successful your target lands prone in any space you designate that is within your reach. They also take damage as if having been hit by your unarmed attack. A failure of wither roll means the attack fails. This attack only effects creature the same size or smaller than you. You need both hands free to use this feat.

Improved Leverage
You know several tricks and techniques to make sure that the bigger they are the harder they fall.
Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike, Improved Grapple, Improved Trip, Combat Expertise, Martial Throw, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13, Base Attack Bonus +3
Benefits: When making throws you can affect creatures up to 1 size category larger than you.

Far Throw
You know how to get more distance when throwing.
Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike, Improved Grapple, Improved Trip, Combat Expertise, Martial Throw, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13, Base Attack Bonus +6
Benefits: When making throw attacks you may throw an opponent up to twice what you could normally.

Defensive Throw
You know how to defend yourself with well placed throws.
Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike, Improved Grapple, Improved Trip, Combat Expertise, Martial Throw, Parry, Parrying Riposte, Dexterity 13, Intelligence 13, Base Attack Bonus +6
Benefits: After successfully parrying an incoming attack, while unarmed, you make an immediate grapple check to throw your opponent. This counts towards your number of attacks of opportunity for the round.

Grappling Finesse
Your grappling style benefits more from dexterity than from strength.
Prerequisites: Improved Grapple, Dexterity 13
Benefits: For all grapple checks you apply your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier.

Whew! If you made it this far I hope you enjoyed the read and I would really like to know what you think. Thanks.

Meatboy

First Post
I do understand that there are a boat load of feats here. Even If only 1 or 2 catch your eye I would seriously appreciate any feed back. Thanks

Mr. Draco

First Post
I really like the lunge and power lunge feats. They'll definitely be making their way into my campaign in time. I'm not too sure about the others. The series of "Unarmed Strike" feats don't seem to have too much purpose, as just about anyone that wants better unarmed strike damage can pick up a few levels of Monk.

Meatboy

First Post
@ Mr. Draco

I am glad that you like the lunge mini tree. As for the unarmed strike tree, at least in the core rules it is not "easy" to take levels in monk. Being that you either have to be lawful or once you take it you can't multiclass or lose the ability to retake levels in monk. Also most of the unarmed feats were made or taken based solely on creating an unarmed fighter who could compete with monks.

Thanks a lot for the reply though. It is very apreciated.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Note on Mercurial Strike: Personally I'd make it more akin to Rapid Shot, -2 penalty instead of -4.

Weapon Precision: an idea for a following feat: allow a complete reroll

I just LOVE Ranged and Melee Expertise... what do you think about creating "Greater" versions, which have as prereq. Bab +6 and Ranged/Melee Expertise?

Strike though: I don't really like feats which give abilities 1/day if they are not "lucky" or "magical" in nature, it just feels odd that your knowledge can be used every 24 hours... Maybe something as simple as "once per day per 5 points of Bab you have"... that would go towards fixing my nitpick :p

Meatboy

First Post
@ Land Outcast

For Mercurial Strike I had originally had it so that it had a -2 penalty there was also a great version whereby you could apply it to non finessable weapons. It was commented though that such a feat could make a rogue or indeed any other finesse style character more powerful because you would not have to split up your weapon abilities between multiple weapons.

For the Expertise feats they are stackable feats and might over shadow such things as weapon specialization. Especially because they are not limited to fighters and they apply to all weapons of a given type not just to a single weapon.
If a "greater" version of the feats were made however what kind of bonuses would you suggest? I am sure as to what could be added that would not make this overpowered.

Wtih Strike Through I can really see your point. This was created after viewing the XPH. I got the idea from one one the psionic feats there. I am also not a big fan of x/ use per day abilities, but when I made this feat I was some what unsure as to what I should do with it. I have contemplated either making it able to be used as a full round action. The fixed with BAB thing that you suggest is a nice idea as it makes it scalalble . With the biggest advantage being that people are more likely to take it because it gives them more bang for their feat without having to invest to much into a rather nifty ability to make it usefull. I will probably make some change to it in the near future.

Thanks alot for your thoughts. You always seem to have something interesting and useful to say about my little ideas.

Land Outcast

Explorer
On the expertise feats:
Prerequisites: Melee/Ranged Expertise, Weapon Specialization (any), Bab 6+.
Benefit: +1d4 to damage

what do you think?

BTW: the Parry and Dodge, and Riposte... I'm in love with them, my NPCs are having them right away! :D

The other feats I like... specially Tremendous Blow... I'd like to see more in a similar line, if there are any.

Meatboy

First Post
Yeah 1d4 doesn't sound like a bad idea but I wouldn't make it able to be take multiple times as I wouldn't want it to over shadow the original feat, which can be taken mulitple times and is stackable, and I wouldn't want it to make weapon specialization a redundant feat for fighters, who might want to wait 2 levels to get 1d4 with ALL weapons and not get +2 with a single weapon.

I am glad that you like the dodge and parry ones. After a little play testing I found that they make combat a little more active and less of a roll attack, roll damage affair. The riposte feat certainly makes the combat go by a little more quickly. Which I don't feel is a bad thing.

I was unsure of tremedous blow as it was ported into d20 from my friends HB rpg ruleset. But, I am always trying to find ways to make combat more interesting for everybody. Not just for the magic users. As for if there are more, I am not sure yet these are just going to be my basic feats in addition to what is found in the PHB. I have some meta magic feats that I am working on but for the moment most of my energy is being spent on actually making an adveture for my friends to play and finishing up the heavily modified magic system. Though I am interested in what similar things you might like to see.

Thanks for the comments.

Remove ads