• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Features

Masquerade

First Post
My favorite feature is definitely powers for everyone, all the time. Also, the Will/Encounter/Day split.

Also, Wormwood's #3 is a shift I can look forward to.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Much of the above, plus: streamlining.

Example 1) You have the same kind of basic modifier (abil mod + 1/2 level) for attacks, skill checks, ability checks...and this incorporates most spells and prayers as well as conventional attacks or actions.

Example 2) Everyone has "powers", and while these do different things, they are presented in a unified, straight forward, way that seems clearer then the spells of past editions.

Knightlord

First Post
Vayden said:
Me? I love all the new design philosophies and all that, but what I really really really like is that they've promised my beloved melee classes will actually remain relevant and have something interesting to do past 8th level. :)

Amen.

HP Dreadnought

First Post
What I hope to love MOST is making combat more exciting. . . basically by reducing the "wait time" between actions while other people do their thing.

Knightlord

First Post
HP Dreadnought said:
What I hope to love MOST is making combat more exciting. . . basically by reducing the "wait time" between actions while other people do their thing.

I hear that. At times, I've actually had people in my gaming group start reading magazines in the middle of the game as they waited for their turn. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Yes, faster, more exciting combat is a big plus, assuming WotC delivers, of course. :p

Grossout

First Post
zoroaster100 said:
One thing I'm really looking forward to: having simpler stat blocks for challenging monsters at every level, ready to use "out of the box" without having to add classes or templates myself in order to use them.

Bingo. As an aspiring DM, this is the answer. Give me the basic crunch and let me figure out fun ways to use them.

Baka no Hentai

First Post
A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned... one thing that hasnt however which is particularly appealing to me is the Heroic/Paragon/Epic character level design splits.

The idea of PCs going from being extraordinary, to almost super-human, to becoming the stuff of legends... that fits very well with my campaign ideas. :D

Zinovia

Explorer
Knightlord said:
I hear that. At times, I've actually had people in my gaming group start reading magazines in the middle of the game as they waited for their turn. UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Two players in my group bring crochet projects to work on during sessions. I'm one of them :p

What I am looking forward to are some of the features that should make DM'ing the game easier. Traps, monsters, and other challenges ready to play right out of the books. Less prep work required for the GM so that more time can be spent developing the story line. 4E has me interested in GM'ing again, which is something I haven't done in over 10 years. I'm excited about the possibilities and hopeful that they manage to deliver on the glowing promises.

I want to see the visions of fun streamlined combat come true. I want players to enjoy combat, even those that claim right now that they hate it. I am hopeful that they have fixed the power-curve discrepancies between melee and casting classes, and have made higher level play fun again. Right now combats in 3.5 are very draggy to run, with much recalculating of bonuses based on buffs and status modifiers. We all take too long figuring out what to do because there are so few turns that you have to optimize every single round's actions. I want the freedom to make a less than optimal decision sometimes and not have it matter in the overall outcome.

My hopes for 4E are high, but I have concerns as well. Are background and crafting skills going the way of the dodo? Will all the characters who fit the same role feel more or less the same in play? Will warlords really be moving other people's characters around? Giving them a chance to move - fine. Moving your figure for you? Weird.

As I said in my avatar text, I *want* to like it. Here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

DdraigGoch

First Post
I know it really isn't a design feature...

THE WARLORD!

Oh man I am psyched about playing a warlord. Strategy, tactics, combat leadership, and martial combat... yes please!

I suppose the extension of that is what they have done with roles and power sources in general.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads