OD&D Feb 16th: Holmes Basic Day (Anniversary of J. Eric Holmes' Birthday)

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
Holmes%2Bwith%2BCat.jpg

It's Holmes Day 2021!

J. Eric Holmes was born on this day, 91 years ago. Over on the Zenopus Archives blog, I've got a "new" photo of Holmes, plus my "Holmesian Highlights" of the past year:
Holmes Day 2021

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I didn't get a chance to read the Holmes Basic rules until 1999, when I picked up the Silver Anniversary Boxed Set, which included a copy of them. I've since come to find them truly fascinating, and I've resolved to start reading some of Dr. Holmes's fiction as well; while I haven't gotten started yet, I am laying the groundwork, having recently picked up a copy of "Red Axe of Pellucidar" off of eBay.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
That was my gateway into D&D. The blue box with the supplements Greyhawk; Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry and Deities and Demigods. I still have the book and the 4 supplements. Really fond memories of this and the dungeon in it! Hmmm - maybe I should run this for 5E...

Stormonu

Legend
I got the Holmes set for Christmas when I was 10. It was too advanced for me at the time, but I made the best of it I could. Sadly, I lost the rulebook a couple of weeks later, leaving me with only B2. Didn’t get a replacement until the Moldvay set, but it didn’t stop me from using what I remembered until then.

Remove ads