[Feb 2016] What Are You Reading?

Gilladian

Adventurer
Reading The Forest by Edward Rutherfurd. I'm amazed I'd never read him before. It's very good - historical fiction bordering on nonfiction.

I read a middle-grade adventure called Emilie and the Hollow World by Martha Wells that I liked. Steampunkish fun. I'll look out for the sequel.

And a YA novel, Hired Girl by I can't remember who. Historical fiction, 1911 Pennsylvania and Baltimore. Country girl flees bad family life to big city. Excellent characterization, good plot, just fun and thought provoking, about prejudice and maturity and self-worth.

Nellisir

Hero
Read Cuckoo's Calling and Silkworm, by R. Galbraith, aka JK Rowling. Both really good. 4/5. Working on Homeward and Beyond by Poul Anderson, and The Best From Fantasy and Science Fiction 14th Series (1965?), both short story collections.

Jhaelen

First Post
I just finished 'End of the World Blues' by Jon Courtenay Grimwood. I'm still not sure what to think of it, and I still don't know why this is labeled as a Sci-Fi novel. There's definitely no science in it, at all. It's just a thriller with a weird (and ultimately pointless) parallel story taking place in a supposedly far-future japanese anime-style setting.

Anyway, next up is another Christopher Priest novel: 'The Adjacent'.

Nellisir

Hero
Reading Sand, by Hugh Howey. He's got a gift for world-building.

Edit: Finished Sand. 5 out of 5, no question. Worldbuilding, characterization, plot, story...excellent book.

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm nearing the end of Song of the Beast by Carol Berg, and I'm honestly surprised that it's as popular as it is. I really enjoy the style, but the dialog, plot, and just the way the world works really bug the hell out of me. Anyone else have any of those problems?

Nellisir

Hero
Reading City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett. It reads like Glen Cook's Black Company meets NK Jemisen's A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms in some of the best ways possible. It's #2 in a series, but works all by itself, and I am absolutely reading #1 (City of Stairs) after this.

Last edited:

Remove ads