• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feeblemind

frankthedm

First Post
That's what I was thinking, but now I'm starting to think that feeblemind may just be an even more insanely powerful tactical nuke of a spell than I realized...
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/178015-feeblemind-spell-fair.html

EDIT: Basically, my view was, it's not ability damage or drain, and it's not an abjuration or dispel effect, so I don't see how it could do anything to your magic item. Sure, it can set your base score to 1, but it can't affect the magic item...
FEADIN said:
May be it negatively adjust your score to keep it at 1 when you put on an item
Since it is instantaneous, rather than permanent, whatever 'harm' the effect did ought to be over and done after the spell takes hold.

FEADIN

Explorer
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/178015-feeblemind-spell-fair.html

Since it is instantaneous, rather than permanent, whatever 'harm' the effect did ought to be over and done after the spell takes hold.

Agree so your score is 1 forever whatever you do unless undone by specifics.
Sometimes rules are so simple that we want to explain and try good reasons and exceptions.
It's my ruling on the spell because there can be so many exceptions that it's simplier.

frog

Explorer
It, along with Disjunction, is just one of those spells my groups have all tended to either outright ban or have some sort of mutually assured destruction agreement with the DM to never use against the NPCs if we don't want it used on the PCs and vice-versa.

We call it "the Stupid" spell...and I have been the victim of it on multiple occasions. My DM hit us with 2 flying, invisible, sorcerers with feeblemind prepped. At that point it was just a matter of time before I "turn stupid" because I can't counter both of them and I will eventually miss a save.

I hate this spell when it is used against me. I have only used it once successfully against an enemy.

Yes...I stink at dice rolling :(

Zanticor

First Post
From the first browsing of the playerhandbook on my party decided this was a spell that would not be used. Its kind of a deal you have with your DM: If you don't use it on me, I'll not screw you with it. Same applies to Mordenkainen's Disjunction and spells like slime wave. You just don't do that to each other. After using everd's black tentacles to great effect you feel the same thing: Lets hope this won't be put on us for that grapple bonus will mean a TPK for sure!

Zanticor

Aran Thule

First Post
We call it "the Stupid" spell...and I have been the victim of it on multiple occasions. My DM hit us with 2 flying, invisible, sorcerers with feeblemind prepped. At that point it was just a matter of time before I "turn stupid" because I can't counter both of them and I will eventually miss a save.

I hate this spell when it is used against me. I have only used it once successfully against an enemy.

Yes...I stink at dice rolling :(

A bit of an extreme way to avoid it but...
Take arcane disciple and the strength or protection domain.
Cast contingency to cast spell immunity if feeblemind is cast on you.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
From the first browsing of the playerhandbook on my party decided this was a spell that would not be used. Its kind of a deal you have with your DM: If you don't use it on me, I'll not screw you with it. Same applies to Mordenkainen's Disjunction and spells like slime wave. You just don't do that to each other. After using everd's black tentacles to great effect you feel the same thing: Lets hope this won't be put on us for that grapple bonus will mean a TPK for sure!

Zanticor

Mostly agree, though Evard's I have no problem with. Hell, with Evard's, it loses its usefullness after a few levels, because the grapple bonus isn't keeping up with melee classes and spellcasters by then all have ways out of hentai fun time.

I like the FAQ's ruling. Otherwise simply removing and replacing the headband increases your Int. Which is just plain dumb (not to mention metagaming to the extreme).

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I like the FAQ's ruling. Otherwise simply removing and replacing the headband increases your Int. Which is just plain dumb (not to mention metagaming to the extreme).

Or you could just use the consistent ruling of "the int bonus from the headband can't be affected and just stacks on top of whatever the spell reduces your natural int to" and also preclude any sort of metagaming.

IronWolf

blank
Or you could just use the consistent ruling of "the int bonus from the headband can't be affected and just stacks on top of whatever the spell reduces your natural int to" and also preclude any sort of metagaming.

Yeah, this looks like one where the DM needs to choose which way they plan to play it and just run with it. I can see arguments for both sides. I would likely side with the FAQ in this particular case, but I can also see why a DM would say the headband would go ahead and increase the INT score again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads