• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Feedback] Trailblazer Character Sheet

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
(attached)

With the mutual understanding that everybody wants a little something different out of their character sheet, I'm posting this looking for usability feedback.

Attachments

• TB_charsheet.pdf
    131.9 KB · Views: 449

*sigh*

Character sheets... they're the #$%@#$% bane of this game I think. Too many of them out there that are minor variations on the WotC sheet and yet lacking an awful lot of functionality.

I think my response is probably best illustrated by simply uploading the sheet I'm using right now in the Pathfinder (Beta rules) game. As a Fighter, I really find it difficult to find a workable sheet. Mainly because I like to have things pre-setup so that when it comes to my turn, I don't have to do a bunch of math and everything.

The sheet was done by Neceros for the Beta rules. I actually made it into a form-fillable sheet and put in the calculations on it as well. The sheet that Neceros made for the final Pathfinder rules is actually less functional as far as I'm concerned; less room to be able to fit information in.

I almost think the solution is to have 2 different sheet sets. One that caters to the fighty types and one that handles the spell side of things.

I guess it's... workable... for a strictly Trailblazer only game. But I'd find it difficult to use and likely hijack some other sheet and modify it in order to get it closer to what I'd want.

Oh and if some monkey finds I've done some wrong calculations for my character... well, it just goes to show how bloody many things there are to keep track of in the first place.

Attachments

• Kal - 12 - v2.PDF
    1.1 MB · Views: 221

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
*sigh*

Character sheets... they're the #$%@#$% bane of this game I think. Too many of them out there that are minor variations on the WotC sheet and yet lacking an awful lot of functionality.

*sigh*

I know, I know.

As I said, I realize we all have our different preferences on character sheets. For example, I personally don't need any of that poncy "character background and motivations" stuff, and could really use one with just a big empty space in one corner to set my beer without obscuring the ass-kicking portions of the sheet.

I could certainly add some "Layer" functionality to turn on and off certain sections for more utility for certain classes, or I could make multiple sheets tailored for each class.

But in the meantime-- is there any essential information missing from the sheet I posted here?

(Assume that Brad is likely to clean up the layout a little bit.)

And if I may ask... Is anyone actually playing a Trailblazer campaign at the moment?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
As mentioned, room for SR. Given that it's a Monk class feature, it will probably come up.

I'm only gearing up for a TB campaign. It's a matter of getting it worked into already busy schedules.

I could certainly add some "Layer" functionality to turn on and off certain sections for more utility for certain classes, or I could make multiple sheets tailored for each class.

But in the meantime-- is there any essential information missing from the sheet I posted here?

No, it does seem as though the stuff that's _critical_ is there.

I'd personally ask for layers to not be used. Not everyone uses Adobe Reader and if you're not using Reader, layers are an iffy thing at best. For example, I use Foxit Reader so I can actually save information when I enter it on a sheet. Reader doesn't let you do that unless the document is authored in a particular way.

And yes, I do have the full version of Acrobat but since I'm often away from my own machine at home or passing sheets along to people that don't have the full version, making it compatible with Foxit is the way I go.

Mad Irishman and 0One games both use layers on their stuff and Foxit pitches a fit and won't display properly. Version 3.whatever might be better, but it has other problems instead. I seem to recall that my wife who uses a mac had problems with seeing sheets that used layers on her mac as well.

And if I may ask... Is anyone actually playing a Trailblazer campaign at the moment?

I'm trying to angle so that the next game that's run (not by me) uses at least some of Trailblazer. When it gets around time for me to run a game I plan on using elements of Trailblazer as well.

I just don't like default 3.x/Pathfinder rules and while Trailblazer takes care of some of that... it's still more on the side of 3.x than say Star Wars Saga.

Glad I've got TB though and planning on picking up a copy of it in print too.

I am not playing TB, still finishing our 4E campaign. maybe TB next. Or PfRPG or Fantasy Craft or......it changes daily :)

However I am rampant rules reader (I am reading FC as of right now, our session go cancelled due a player still being in transit from finalising an Iraqi drug* deal!). AFAI can see, nothing missing.

*That is pharmaceutical drugs, before you call the cops :)

Last edited:

Theocrat

First Post
PathBlazer Character Sheet

Hi all -
I have modified Neceros's character sheet. His base is awesome, but I prefer a much different layout that fits to the standard 3.5/PF style of character sheet. That and in our home game, we're using the Trailblazer skill system. It's the same information, just laid out a little like the standard sheets. It's still three pages - in fact, I haven't changed the third page at all.
I've made two versions. The second version is the same, with the inside cover of the Pathfinder RPG background image (the non-color one from the inside page) as the background. It's more for me and using my wifeFIEND's color printer!

Please enjoy and let me know what you think. I'll be posting this to the EN World Trailblazer forums as well as the EN World Pathfinder forums. Posted from Paizo's Character Sheet Forums.

http://www.golariononline.com/!PathBlazer_CS.pdf - Standard Non-Color

http://www.golariononline.com/!PathBlazer_CS2.pdf - Standard Color Version

Be Well. Be Well Modified.
Theocrat Issak

Attachments

• !PathBlazer_CS.pdf
    395.7 KB · Views: 166
  • !PathBlazer_CS2.pdf
    641.3 KB · Views: 203

Theocrat

First Post
PathBlazer

Hi all -
I used the same text for my Character Sheet and so didn't modify it for Wulfbane's actual comment about asking if anybody is actually using Trailblazer.
Well, we're not using Trailblazer - per se.
As myself and one other person have the Trailblazer book (I printed mine out at the college for real cheap, while he went to Kinko's and spent enough to print the book for everybody).
We have implemented the skills from Trailblazer - really just Diplomacy to Persuasion and Search and Jump from their bound groups. We have also implemented the two good saves choice - except the monk with his three good saves (thus the reason for the Good/Poor box on the saves section of my Character Sheet).
We also used the monster Solo and Elite aspects - he used it for one of the big bad guys, increasing his hit points by 4 PC's that were attacking him - and boy did that make the fight last an extra four rounds - but they were excellent rounds and made the fight so much more memorable.
So with two weeks of opportunity to use the game system to modify our existing game - we've used some good parts. In the new game we just started, two people are playing Fighters but from the Pathfinder RPG while I'm playing a Scout (complete adventurer) - because I wanted to play a fighter but the party needed someone to search for traps (since we don't have a rogue or a cleric [even with 1 DM and 5 players]). So if you make a modified Scout class (I like the Skip William Scout from Advanced Players Guide, but again, no trap sense) I'd love to adapt the character to that class.
Be Well. Be Well Used.
Theocrat Issak

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads