• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feeling short changed by 4th Ed.

malraux

First Post
Imaro said:
I would say he's a great class when the rest of your team agrees to let you shine... otherwise he's a second rate fighter...same with the cleric
Hey Krusk, here's a chance to hit that monster again. Or Tordek, you're getting pounded, have a free shift action to move out of the way. Or Lidda, lets get this flank set up for your sneak attack. Given you shine by helping your teammates shine, its rather hard to see why they'd oppose you.

00Machado

First Post
What they should do is release these types of things through the digital iniative, as content for Dragon and Dungeon magazines.

Wasn't the the whole point of them moving things online so that we can get this type of content?

I agree with one of the early comments that asked what could have been removed from the books to make room for this content? It looks to me like the answer is not much. Sure, they could have made the books bigger, but then we'd be talking about how their usefulness is shifting more toward "clutter", than "concise".

I also agree that they should provide long time fans of the game with the tools to play similar to how they've played before. (classes, feats, monsters - all updated to reflect changes to the new edition).

I think a good strategy would be to release this supplemental meterial through the DDI, then fold it into later print products (Not as an "official" version. The point of the DDI content should be that it is an official version. But putting it in printed products makes it available to those who don't subscribe to the DDI, and those who want it in a bound product).

If they do make updates to the printed material, it should be reflected in the latest DDI content as well, so that subscribers who pay for the development of this stuff don't have to go out and buy it in print to have the latest stats. That was part of the promise of the digital initiative - updated errata for the content you've already paid for, based on a subscription fee.

I think a compromise like this would work nicely - and everyone would win.

More content now. Same content becomes available to non-subscribers later. Content still retains value to those who've subscribed.

theNater

First Post
Brennin Magalus said:
Try investing in iron will, so we can be spared posts like this in the future.
I intend to pick it up as soon as I become a paragon.

Two other things unrelated to each other:

1)I like Dragonborn, Warlords, Tieflings, and Warlocks. Is this something I should be ashamed of? A number of posters are acting like it is, and I want to know whether I should avoid telling my gaming buddies how I feel.

2)There have been a number of complaints about the absence of the barbarian in 4th edition. I'm not reading a 3.5 PHB right now, so can someone tell me what a 3rd edition barbarian has that a 4th edition fighter with a Berserker Weapon doesn't?

SSquirrel

Explorer
theNater said:
1)I like Dragonborn, Warlords, Tieflings, and Warlocks. Is this something I should be ashamed of? A number of posters are acting like it is, and I want to know whether I should avoid telling my gaming buddies how I feel.

2)There have been a number of complaints about the absence of the barbarian in 4th edition. I'm not reading a 3.5 PHB right now, so can someone tell me what a 3rd edition barbarian has that a 4th edition fighter with a Berserker Weapon doesn't?

1)I enjoy the flavor and the classes seem well done, tho I won't play a Warlord till we have a better than 3 person group :)

2)Better HP, Worse AC, the Uncanny Dodge related stuff, Rage, a lot less Feats. That's pretty much it.

Imaro

Legend
malraux said:
Hey Krusk, here's a chance to hit that monster again. Or Tordek, you're getting pounded, have a free shift action to move out of the way. Or Lidda, lets get this flank set up for your sneak attack. Given you shine by helping your teammates shine, its rather hard to see why they'd oppose you.

Just speaking from experience but there have been a few times where my warlord player couldn't get into positions that allowed his powers to shine, or the players got into positions that weren't conducive to him using his powers in a meaningful way. YMMV of course.

Remove ads