Feh to Math

Psionicist

Explorer
I think it's psychology.

1) Many people belive math is a difficult subject. Simply because many belive math is a difficult subject. It's much harder to learn something you belive is hard.

2) Many belive math is a nerdy subject for whatever reason. It's less likely you want to learn a nerdy than a cool subject, unless of course you're a nerd. ;)

3) Most people are afraid of math. Most people are afraid if the unknown (thanks Lovecraft!). You cannot learn something well if you are afraid of it.

4) Most people belive math is boring. It's not. The stuff you do in high-school and below is boring, but that's not what I'd call math (counting would be a better word for it).

Zappo

Explorer
Math isn't harder or easier, or more boring or more interesting, than most other topics. It's got hard parts and easy parts, boring parts and interesting parts. But what doesn't?

I think that Psionicist is right, but I also think that math requires a certain forma mentis, a mental shape, that you have to develop before you can really get it. You need to shift into a different gear of rigorousness and abstraction.

Philosophically speaking, the rewards are great IMO. Math has a unique relation with reality. Knowing maths also makes all other sciences a lot easier.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Psionicist said:
4) Most people belive math is boring. It's not. The stuff you do in high-school and below is boring, but that's not what I'd call math (counting would be a better word for it).

Gee, thanks for making all of my accomplishments worth nothing. :(

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Do you prefer the term "advanced counting"? ;)

Admittedly, the vast majority of math is counting anyway. The interesting part is finding new ways to count different things. In high school you do what, though? Algebra, Geometry, Trig, and maybe Calculus? Those four combined, you get the majority of the rest of math.

As a math major, the first two years of your degree plan would be "More Calculus, but different scenarios" and "More Algebra, but different scenarios." Of the last two years, about half of the classes are just, "Everything youv'e done before, but different" and half are "And now for something completely different."

Remove ads