• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feint and Two-Weapon Fighting

Marimmar

First Post
Hi all,

I was just curious about Feinting (as per the Bluff skill) and making a Sneak Attack afterwards. Does the loss of Dexterity for my opponent allow me to take advantage of my dual short swords and make two Sneak attacks or even my iterative attacks or is it just the first attack roll I make that gains the advantage?

Thanx for the input!
~Marimmar

Marimmar

First Post
*Bleh* The longer I play a dual short sword wielding Ranger/Rogue the more stupid I feel. I already got to the point where I use a buckler to add some armor class for all the occasions where I cannot make use of the second weapon and those are legion. :(

~Marimmar

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Convince your buddies to cooperate to set up flanking situations.

Do everything you can to max your AC so you can stand toe-to-toe and make Full Attacks.

-Hyp.

Darklone

Not to encourage senseless minmaxxing... but 3 levels of wizard for an otherwise main rogue character really rock.

I'm speaking about losing 1-2 d6 sneak attack damage, 1 point BAB and three hitpoints and gaining spells like Mirror Image, Blur, Shield, Spider climb, Jump, Invisibility and See invisibility, perhaps Protection from Arrows, magic items become much easier than Use Magic Device, your will save will hop... Ah well.

And my character built in this way would usually use his first attack to deliver a sneak attacked Vampiric Touch from a scroll/wand/potion whatever is possible. Remember that V-touchy is the only spell that causes the same damage for a rogue/wiz than for a pure wizard (praises to sneak attack).

Scribe Scroll gives you the possibility to have most of the abovementioned spells ready for single shot uses. (See invis!). Buff spells might be available too (if you want these 3.5 buff spells at all).

Marimmar

First Post
Ahem, well right now I prefer playing fighter types and the Rogue/Ranger was my attempt at playing a Rogue that could hold his own in a direct confrontation. I currently do not like to play wizard types since my first AD&D (2e) character lasted for about a decade of playing RPGs. I'm a bit sick of playing low HP spell wielders. Next character will shurely be a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Glaive and combat reflexes.

~Marimmar

Darklone

Then I would advice to combine full Expertise with fighting defensively while you go (preferably with tumble) into position. This will help a lot against the guys comrades and next round you may unleash you full attacks... Just try to have a friend around to set up a flank for you for your next action.

PatDZS

First Post
wach

What would the total AC bonus be with Fighting defensivly and using the full +5 from expertise.

Sadly only one attack. Welcome to the world of useless TWF fighters.

My current Ftr4/Rg1/Rngr1 is a beast in combat, i picked up offhand parry, and use a buckler too, so my ac is massivly high (around 29 with dodge, expertise, and all my armor) against one opponent. Plus, i get the sneak attack and all kinds of bonuses from being a fighter.

Two weapons are alot better than 1, especially if you take the right feats and abilities.

Darklone

Re: wach

PatDZS said:
What would the total AC bonus be with Fighting defensivly and using the full +5 from expertise.

Added. E.g. +8 if you have 5 tumble ranks. +7 if not.
Both at -9 to hit. Who cares?

My current Ftr4/Rg1/Rngr1 is a beast in combat, i picked up offhand parry, and use a buckler too, so my ac is massivly high (around 29 with dodge, expertise, and all my armor) against one opponent. Plus, i get the sneak attack and all kinds of bonuses from being a fighter.

Two weapons are alot better than 1, especially if you take the right feats and abilities.

Twin Sword style looks good for you.

A level 6 fighter will probably still outclass you damagewise. Sneak attack helps a lot and we have a ftr5/rog3/rgr2 in our group too with 2 flaming shortswords... she does helluva damage. But she's bad AC wise compared to the longsword shield twink and no comparison damagewise to the raging axebasher twink (who could even get a greatsword).

Last edited:

BenjaminB

First Post
Didn't I read something somewhere about allowing the second weapon to be used to either attack or bolster defense? Basicly giving you the equilivent of a buckler and a weapon? Or did I halucinate that because it makes too much sense?

-Ben

Remove ads