• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fellow player fudging rolls

Korgoth

First Post
Guys, what's with all the deception and secret meetings? As others have said, just say "Are you sure you hit? You rolled a 2." There's no point in avoiding a confrontation... he's already jacking your game. You might as well get in his face because he's already up in yours.

Plus, you're also doing him a favor by giving him an opportunity to improve his moral character. If nobody ever calls him out then he may never improve and then you'll be partly responsible for him being a nudnik for the rest of his life. Look at it as an opportunity to make your gaming hobby into something charitable.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I would confront him out in the open the next time I caught it. There is no excuse for adults to be behaving this way.

If you want to be amusing about it, you could always get him one of those oversized d20s to match his dice and encourage him to use it. Those are much harder to fudge. I formerly gamed with a guy who would cheat so I bought some and rolled them in the open just to prove a point. I eventually ended up ditching that group, but I still use those big dice.

Mad Zagyg

Explorer
I actually understand how calling the dude out at the table can be uncomfortable for some people. While certainly the most direct way to approach the situation, there are nuances between this sort of cheating and cheating at cards or competitive games. People sometimes see it more as cheating themselves (and being okay with that) rather than cheating a fellow player.

I've been DMing for thirty years and I own a game store, so I've seen more than my fair share of dice rolled. I've also seen a wide variety of cheating. Loaded dice, D20s with multiple 20s, hard to read dice, hidden dice, pre-rolled dice, and most commonly: the "pick and spin" (when the player picks up the die just as it stops rolling and turns it to a satisfying number).

It seems like the best way to handle this is to address it from the beginning. The DM should stress that all dice should be rolled openly and left on the table after they have come to a stop. Dice rolling is pretty much the only physical action we take at the table. It's the nerd's football. All player's should be able to see that "20" when it comes up. They don't cut to a commercial just as a touchdown is about to be made.

If you really feel uncomfortable about directly confronting him, ask your DM to enhance the game experience by requesting that all dice be rolled openly for all to see. The game is significantly better that way.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
In Glasgow it's not uncommon to breakfast on a fruit concentrate called Irn Bru.
I thought Irn Bru was like some weird tasting orange soda... Is there even fruit or juice of any kind in it?

Tewligan said:
My god - I have no idea why this thread is four pages full of people pussyfooting around offering creative ways to not embarrass this guy who sits there blatantly lying his ass off to everyone else every week at the table. Who gives a damn if he gets embarrassed or offended? He's presumably an adult, and should be able to handle being called out for being a dick at the table.
Yea, I don't get it either. Dice cheating is something that really raises my hackles more than anything else at the table (except a**hats that keeps trying to PvP when everyone else is trying to cooperate.)

Adults know when they are doing it, and unless the player has a severe social disorder, they know it is just plain wrong.

I always require that the players roll in the open and let the other see the die roll.

Janx

Hero
Yea, I don't get it either. Dice cheating is something that really raises my hackles more than anything else at the table (except a**hats that keeps trying to PvP when everyone else is trying to cooperate.)

At some point, it seems that our society has grown to be non-confrontational and non-blaming. Everybody's got a disorder, and it's noth their fault their misbehaving, it's the disorder.

Bullpuckey.

While one of the Mod's raised a good point that using sarcasm and such to try to injure their pride is likely to make the situation flare up and get worse, molly coddling people who do wrong to protect their feelings is also wrong.

Tweligan's 1 line method is short, blameless, and correctly calls the player out on his bad behavior.

Whether somebody's got a disorder or is just a jerk, there's 6 billion people or so on this planet and you can find a better friend to hang out with. Call him out, and if he don't shape up, show him the door.

OP here. I decided to shoot the GM an e-mail suggesting a rule that we roll out in the open. Plus, I'm going to "show-off" my custom made dice tower at the next session.

Is this non-confrontational? Yeah, but this guy is pretty defensive in addition to being a good friend and a coworker with some of other players. Calling him out and having a big confrontation could have messy consequences in real life terms that wouldn't be worth it.

delericho

Legend
I thought Irn Bru was like some weird tasting orange soda... Is there even fruit or juice of any kind in it?

It mostly is a weird tasting orange-coloured soda. However, it does state it's made from "fruit concentrate" on the can. I believe it contains mango and some other fruits.

Still, like most sodas, it's pretty much just sugar-water.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
First, get it on tape.

Make copies of it.

Next, show him the tape and if he destroys it, let him know you've got copies and will show the DM if he doesn't quit.

If he doesn't quit, take it to the DM.

If he doesn't quite after that, start spraying skunk spray on him every time he cheats. Continue doing this until he quits.

If he doesn't quit after that, cut off his hands.

If he doesn't quit after that, leave the group.

That's the way the world works man, stupid actions require punishment. The harsher they get until the punk desists his stupid behavior.

Mad Zagyg

Explorer
OP here. I decided to shoot the GM an e-mail suggesting a rule that we roll out in the open. Plus, I'm going to "show-off" my custom made dice tower at the next session.

Is this non-confrontational? Yeah, but this guy is pretty defensive in addition to being a good friend and a coworker with some of other players. Calling him out and having a big confrontation could have messy consequences in real life terms that wouldn't be worth it.

Your Wisdom score is high.

Remove ads