• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Female Dragonborn - No longer have breasts?

arscott said:
Monotremes = mammals.
Dragonborn = not mammals.

It'n not the biological necessity of the Dragonborn's boobs that make them stupid. .

Nipples might make them stupid. Or their breasts growing during pregnancy or after childbirth laying an egg.

The size (and shape) of the breast can just be something to attract males.
[sblock]
enten.jpg

[/sblock]
There is no hard biological reasons why male ducks have such a nicely colored feathers, except because females find them attractive. (There might a weak link between this attractiveness and his physical fitness, but, well, it's a weak link. And some animals actually can get in problems for focusing on its "sex appeal" this way - Elks or Reindeers, IIRC, sometimes grow antles that are too big to be practical or healthy)

The breasts of most female monkeys aren't particular big. A lot more noticeable are usually the buttocks. A suggested reason for this difference between humans and monkeys is that when humans learned to walk upright, the behind wasn't as much in the eyes as the breasts, and so the attention shifted there. ;)
We might be lucky that the attention didn't get shifted just to the head, otherwise we might now look like the coneheads ;). (I suppose it was easier to grow fat then bones.) Or maybe this would actually have been better for humans... more space for the brain? (But then, the brain is already consuming a lot of energy, we might get new problems...)
Still, some attention to the head remained - a beautiful face and hair are also very important (unless I am unique in that regard.)

Dragonborns also walk upright. I suppose female Dragonborn don't have the typical fat tissue and more muscles up there then humans. They might also grow more beautiful scales on the head, which to humans might also look vaguely female...

Now, for a twist, they could have made all this as features of male Dragonborn. But I'd say, two gay races are enough
Elves and Eladrin
are enough for one edition. ;)

Last edited:

Lurks-no-More

First Post
arscott said:
Monotremes = mammals.
Dragonborn = not mammals.
So you say. Me, I'm perfectly okay with them laying eggs and then nursing their young. It's not as if dragons, chimeras or griffons belonged to any real biological categories either.

Mad Mac

First Post
When something looks that alien in some respects, distinctly human features such as big breasts just seem out of place. If the dragonborn had more human-like faces, hands, or feet then the boobs wouldn't seem silly. As is, though, they're out of place.

Dragonborn are in a tough middle ground, in my opinion. They don't look like Lizardmen at all. They've basically got Lizard heads on a human shaped body, with scales and claws. I've seen several fan attempts to draw female Dragonborn without Breasts, and it still looks weird.

They've basically got the "Minotaur" problem, I think. Drawing Male Minotaurs looks cool and is easy to do (leaving aside divisive issues like foot vs hoof)...female minotaurs present more of a challenge, and I've never seen a female minotaur pic everyone is happy with.

pawsplay

Hero
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Dragonborns also walk upright. I suppose female Dragonborn don't have the typical fat tissue and more muscles up there then humans. They might also grow more beautiful scales on the head, which to humans might also look vaguely female...

In reptiles and birds, it is usually the males that have flashy display characteristics.

pawsplay said:
In reptiles and birds, it is usually the males that have flashy display characteristics.
Well, but didn't you know that the subgroup of fire-breathing reptiles and birds has this reversed again? It's probably a not so known fact, since they seem to have gone extinct 12.000.000i years ago, but it's true! Source

Last edited:

interwyrm

First Post
It would have been more interesting if they had just made the dragonborn asexual. To reproduce they lay eggs which grow without fertilization.

Oh well.

Derren

Hero
You know what is funny, in every other realism issue in 4E most people agree that playability trumps logic/realism/believability. But when it comes to dragonboobs everyone argues about biology instead of simply saying "This looks good/bad".

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Derren said:
But when it comes to dragonboobs everyone argues...

The truth contained in those eight words lets me rest easy that it'll be at least another edition of D&D beyond this one before gaming stops being the true sport of nerds, myself included. Honestly, is there anything else that reinforces the basement-dwelling-socially-inept stereotype we get more than discussions of whether reptile women have breasts and if dwarven women have beards?

Remove ads