Female gamers: Weal or woe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
One woman in particular grabbed the role of sword-jocky with both hands and refused to let go.

Should someone be banned for replying, I hasten to point out that making such a statement could be considered entrapment.

Pbartender

First Post
I've run an almost all-female (one guy) group before as well. Fun campaign. One woman in particular grabbed the role of sword-jocky with both hands and refused to let go.

My wife has historically taken the same role out of the hands of all the guys in our group. All of her characters have a tendency to charge straight to the front line and hack the enemy to little bitty pieces when it comes to combat.

:D

I love my wife.

My wife has historically taken the same role out of the hands of all the guys in our group.
The role of sword-jockey? Were you trying to lace that post with as much innuendo as you could possibly come up with?
Awesome parts must be apparent while gaming with clothes on. No inspection required!
Well, at least I've managed to skeeve you out by making you confront the image of your gaming group dropping trou for you to examine their parts in detail. My work here is done.

Hejdun

First Post
I think the only real time it would be an issue is if it's the girlfriend/wife of one of the players, the gaming sessions are your version of "Poker Night" (i.e. an excuse to hang out with the guys).

drothgery

First Post
Holy thread necromancy, Batman :).

More seriously, I've always had at least one female player (and usually just the one) in every long-term tabletop game I've played in. The only all-guys group I've played in was a short-term SWSE game I ran for a few weeks, and that's only because the one woman who usually plays in our group doesn't play non-D&D games. So I really wouldn't know what D&D's like without a girl at the table.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
This hasn't been my experience . . . I've played with a few other female gamers that were into gaming, but the overall impression from them was they were definitely into the roleplaying aspect and were turned off by combat.

I'd be careful about generalizing this experience. I've certainly known women (and men) who fit that description. But I know plenty of women who are much more into the combat than the fluffy stuff.

I played Over the Edge last night (how's that for a blast from the past?). It was wild, wacky, rules-light fun. But one player had a terrible time--didn't know what to do, couldn't get into the light-hearted wackiness or the over-the-top characters, and just wanted some combat and some crunchy rules. Hated the experience; just wanted to get back to our 4E game and some monster-bashing. She was a woman.

P

PaulofCthulhu

Previously I've run for an all-female group in Call of Cthulhu.

It was excellent. Good charaterisation, creative thinking, on plot.

Recommended.

Korgoth

First Post
i played over the edge last night (how's that for a blast from the past?). It was wild, wacky, rules-light fun. But one player had a terrible time--didn't know what to do, couldn't get into the light-hearted wackiness or the over-the-top characters, and just wanted some combat and some crunchy rules. Hated the experience; just wanted to get back to our 4e game and some monster-bashing. She was a woman who had obviously fallen under the tachyonic control of the throckmorton device.

Fixed it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads