• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Female Wizard, Male Druid.

Alexander123

First Post
What is the tendency of D&D characters to play female wizards and male druids as opposed to the opposite?

The reason I say this is because wizards are generally weak in combat as opposed to the druid and no girl can be attracted to a guy she can beat up.

And a guy generally is not attracted to a girl who can beat him up. (and girls are attracted?)

Rhun

First Post
I think you're bringing a little bit too much real-life expectation into a fantasy game. With that said, I see more male wizards and female druids in D&D games.

kitcik

Adventurer
My current party is:
Male monk
Male bard
Male ranger
Male wizard
Female druid

I would say the druid's I have seen have been disproportionately women, while the wizards have been male/female in about the same proportion to the gender of the players I have played with.

I have never seen what you are describing.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
In my experience, class genders have been very roughly as follows:

barbarians - mostly men
bards - mostly women
clerics - split
druids - mostly men
fighters - split
monks - mostly men
paladins - mostly men
rangers - split
rogues - split
sorcs - mostly women
wizards - mostly men

But I'm not at all certain what attraction has to do with it..?

Alexander123

First Post
Druids generally remind of men like wolverine. While female sorcs generally remind me of women like jean grey.

I just thought what class you choose may play a role in what gender you choose.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Ah, I see what you mean. As for me personally, I usually think of a character in general (includng race and gender) first, then match a class to that concept based on the features and their flavor (or the flavor I give them, more likely). So in my mind at least, there's not a whole lot of correlation between race/gender and class-- most of the time anyway.

It's interesting, actually. When I think "druid" I immediately picture a character more like a wizard or something, with a staff and robe and all (I think that comes from the druid pictured in the Companion (iirc) set of BECM). Result is that I tend to use a nature-base cleric rather than the druid class to play what is a "druid" in my mind. But I understand your point: to emulate a character like Wolverine, I'd likely use the druid class, or certainly consider it.

Noctos

First Post
fighter- either
mage-either
bard- wouldn't
thief- male
pally- man
druid-female
necro- male
ranger-female
monk-wouldn't
Enchanter-female
elementalist-female
priest-male
swordmage-male

most often that would be it

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Funny for me about this is that I've played with a LOT of players who do not play across gender lines. I've even had DMs that forbid playing across gender lines. So as a result, players' PC choices are nearly always of the same sex as they are.

And since most of the gamers I've gamed with are males...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads