• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Females what do you like to Read ? Watch ?

Which of these Books did you like ?

• Wheel of Time series

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • The Magician series (Pug)

• Song of Ice and Fire

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Drenai Saga Books

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Shannara Books

• Tolkiens work

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Other (specify below)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I like fantasy...but havent read these books

• I dont like reading fantasy stuff...

• I´m a curious male taking a peek...

Votes: 45 76.3%

LdyMaria

First Post
I'm inclined to agree with the other girls. I like Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffery, Anne Rice, The Redwall series, Tolkien, I'll admit that I like Harry Potter, I've been reading the graphic novel series The Lone Wolf and Cub. Unfortunately school gets in the way and the book I'm currently reading is UNIX Shells by example. I will say that all the books I've mentioned my guys friends have read too. With the exception of Anne McCaffery I know a few guys that have read a book or two of hers but they weren't really impressed. Perhaps the strong women characters scared them away =)

madriel

First Post
I read a LOT of books so here's a tiny fraction of fav authors:

Mercedes Lackey
Terry Pratchett
Anne McCaffrey
Melanie Rawn
Kate Elliot
Tolkien
Robin McKinley
Raymond Feist
Elizabeth Moon
David Eddings
JK Rowling
Lois McMaster Bujold
Tanya Huff
Michelle (Sagara) West

...too many others. I read literature and history and all sorts of other books, too.

I prefer sci-fi movies to fantasy ones in general. FOTR, Willow, Ever After, 13th Warrior, Princess Bride, Monty Python & the Holy Grail are some fantasy movies I like.

LOTR is awesome. I loved the whole Moria sequence. The scene were Gandalf spooks Bilbo into giving up the ring was great. The look on Gandalf's face as Frodo notices the writing on the ring. Bilbo turning into that freaky creature in Rivendell still makes me jump. The shadow world Frodo sees when he puts on the ring is cool. I loved the fighting sequences. Some very quotable one-liners. The casting was awesome too.

I don't think I can make a broad generalization of what female gamers like. I've seen personal favourites on the other women's lists and seen stuff that bored me silly. It's personal taste. Same with male vs female gamers tastes.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well I like Harry Potter and I suppose most boys and girls too... what I found wierd was most women (not females anymore) liked the Labyrinth movie... a movie I remember as very wierd and not very good at all. Unless your a David Bowie fan...

Thanks for the responses...

Lark

First Post
I seem to have the same taste as most of you. I am surprised not to see David Eddings on the list though.

I like Harry Potter too, in fact my whole family have read all the books and we range from 11 to 40.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Rashak Mani said:
Well I like Harry Potter and I suppose most boys and girls too... what I found wierd was most women (not females anymore) liked the Labyrinth movie... a movie I remember as very wierd and not very good at all. Unless your a David Bowie fan...

Thanks for the responses...

Labyrinth had a female lead who was smart, brave, cared for her companions, made mistakes but made up for them, and beat the bad guy with her wits. Big points to this girl, who was about 15 when Labyrinth came out.

It was also a fun movie and silly movie where a girl is transported by her imagination to a strange place where her stuffed animals, toys, and trinkets 'come to life.' It had an "Alice in Wonderland" quality that I loved. It was so different from anything I had ever seen before, and it came along at a time when I was really into ADnD, so quite a lot of the movie sneaked into my games. :)

Remove ads