• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fetal Swarm

fnork de sporg

First Post
Fetal Swarm

Tiny Undead (Swarm)

Hit Dice 12d12 (78)

AC: 18 (+6 dex, +2size)

Initiative: +10

Speed: 5ft fly 60 ft (perfect)

Space/reach 10 ft / 0 ft

Attacks: Swarm 3d6 + Energy Drain

Special Attacks: Energy Drain, Wail

Special Qualities: Dark vision 60 ft, Half Damage from slashing and piercing
, undead traits

Saves: Fort +4 Ref +8 Will +6

Abilities: Str 4, Dex 22, Con -, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 14

Feats: Alertness, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude, Ability Focus (Wail),

Skills: Spot +18, Listen 18, Tumble +21, Hide +9

CR: 7

Environment: Any land or underground, Negative Energy Plane

Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

Organization: Swarm (2-5) Cloud (6-10) Storm (12-100)

These tiny pale white infants are clearly undead, with shallow black pits for eyes, jet black blood and saliva, and chalk white skin that appears to have been melted, run though with ripples, bubbles, and dangling threads of flesh. They magically dart through the air in great clouds destroying all living things in their path, their hideous high-pitched wailing carrying on the wind for miles.

Fetal swarms do not occur spontaneously, they are purposefully made by groups of evil clerics employing ancient dark rituals to build unholy undead armies. The mere presence of one of these swarms on the battlefield implies indescribable horrors perpetrated on an unthinkable scale. Thousands of innocent souls brutally cut from their wombs and piled at the feet of blasphemous idols. While effective minions the crusade-like reaction their construction provokes in good aligned nations sometimes makes them more trouble than they are worth. Certain evil religions have been known to establish “breeding camps” of some of the more prolific races, such as orcs and goblins, solely devoted to the creation of these swarms. It is said by few ancient legends that in the depths of the negative plane one can find Fetal Swarms that dwarf continents, built from the populations of whole worlds wiped clean by undead conquerors.

Combat

The Fetal Swarm seeks to surround and decimate any living creature it encounters. A Fetal Swarm does 3d6 points of damage to any creature whose space it occupies at the end of its move. The swarm will feast upon the victim’s life force, draining its positive energy and leaving the corpse to later rise as undead.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 16 Fort save or be Nauseated for 1 round. This save is Con based.

Energy Drain (Su): Creatures that take damage from a Fetal Swarm also receive one Negative Level. The DC is 16 for the Fort save to later remove these negative levels. For each such level the Swarm gains 5 temporary hit points.

Create Spawn (Su): Living creatures slain by a Fetal Swarm return as undead in 2d4 rounds. Humanoids under 5 hit die return as Wights (see the Monster Manual). Humanoids over 5 hit die retain some of their original skills and memories, gaining the Wight template (see Savage Species). All others return as zombies.

Wail (Su): They scream with lungs that need not breathe for a mother who is long dead. The sound is so unnerving that all creatures within earshot, generally 1000 feet, must make a Will save DC 20 or be Panicked for as long as the wail is audible to them. Those who make their save are merely Shaken.

Last edited:

fnork de sporg

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Have you seen this thread before?
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60063

I guess great minds think alike. Or something.
Demiurge out.

Well crap. That's uncanny. There's even someone suggesting a Wail ability.

I wasn't really coming here much a year ago, but I guess maybe I did read it?

The Turning question is a good one, I hadn't even considered it.

I guess the two monsters could compliment each other. Air troops and ground troops. Heck, we've almost got the fixings for a dead baby themed d&d army.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
This creature, sir, is the product of a twisted mind. I love it. But what's the Armor class on this? Also, shouldn't it get another feat? On the turning issue, I would for simplicity just make it immune to turning based on the fact that swarms are immune to attacks that affect a specific number of targets. There could be many babies with a fractional HD each in the swarm, but each partial HD might count for 1 HD of turning.

I'm gonna give this in my home game, give it a few psionic abilities, put in the Plane of Dreams, and call it the Swarm of Stillborn Dreams, people's dreams abandoned because of hopelessness and despair. Thanks, much.

fnork de sporg

First Post
AC? Oh man, you're right!

Ok I fixed that, I gave them Great Fortitude as their fort save is just abysmal, and I fixed the special ability DCs as they were all off.

I don't know how I didn't notice all that the first time around.

fnork de sporg

First Post
Wait shouldn't it have five feats?

One for first level, two at third level, three at sixth, four at ninth and the five at level twelve.

Yeah, that makes sense. And, now that I think about it, why did I give them Blindfighting? They're a swarm, they don't have any attacks except swarming all over you, which they can do just as well blind as they can with eyes. Hmmm...

fnork de sporg

First Post
The monster manual say about swarms
"A swarm has a single pool of Hit Dice and hit points, a single initiative modifier, a single speed, and a single Armor Class. It makes saving throws as a single creature."

So I'm inclined to think that each swarm would count as a single 12 hit die undead for purposes of Turning. Of course if you make them in to Outsiders that won't matter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads