• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fey Mounts?

Hawke

Explorer
No crunch needed, just fluff... I'm running a skill challenge where the party stumbles into a fey hunt and must stay alive long enough to encounter the hunting party and convince them to stop. In any event, I want the party mounted but am looking for something for a mount that's not mundane, nicely fey, but not too crazy/fantastic.

Any ideas?

Quickleaf

Legend
What about Nic'Epona or Puca, in other words faerie horses with vibrant colors (red or green for fey of course), and teleporting/planewalking powers. However, with a puca you can also set up a mini skill challenge or hazard cause it might try to lead the PC through a dangerous environment.

Gort

Explorer
I would probably go with any mundane animal you can imagine chasing somebody and cover it in sigils and give it glowing eyes. I think my whole take on the fey is that they should be beautiful and perfect, but also terrible and utterly amoral at the same time.

Forget your nice elves who come to the aid of humanity, think a bunch of posh people who just don't give a damn about you and yours and will do whatever amuses them at any given time.

Barastrondo

First Post
You could always borrow from the take of "owlbear = fey beast" and make the steeds chimerical things. Bodies of horses, heads of antlered wolves. Or bodies of stags, heads of eagles.

Pbartender

First Post
You could also take a page from some of the mythological creatures in Japanese mythology... Foxes with multiple tails, for example.

You could always borrow from the take of "owlbear = fey beast" and make the steeds chimerical things. Bodies of horses, heads of antlered wolves. Or bodies of stags, heads of eagles.

Even better if you make each chimerical steed in the hunting party a unique combination of parts.

Raven Crowking

First Post
What I would do is pick an alternate theme. It doesn't matter what it is, but it should be roughly "This is a fey hunt that also represents......" Once you know what it represents, you can pick an appropriate creature, or simply use horses but describe them as occasionally having appropriate features.

For Example: "This is a fey hunt that also represents a swarm of bees. The hunters are narrow with large eyes, golden skin, and dark hair. Their saddlebags seem covered in glowing fluff (pollen). The mounts appear to be horses, but they are slender, black-legged, with gold-and-black stripes. The hunters use spear, arrow, and lance."

Another Example: "This is a fey hunt that also represents a fox hunt turned upon itself. The hunters have a reddish cast to their skin, and are red haired with streaks of white. Their faces are vulpine, their laughter comes out in short, sharp barks. The horses seem low to the ground as though their legs are shorter than those of normal horses, but if one actually looks closely this seems to be an illusion. The horses are roans with white socks, manes, and tails. Prey animals might appear strangely human. One of the hunters might already be blooded. After the cavalcade is gone, they seem smaller in recollection than they did when they were present. The hunting dogs now seem to have been foxes."

Good luck.

RC

Hawke

Explorer
That's a great idea on the keying the hunt to something else... ::yoink::

Good suggestions from everyone... definitely makes all things fey easier when there's a unique supportive community that helps you jump out of your "normal DM" into something fantastical a little easier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads