• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FFG staff openings

inkmonkeys

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Wow.

If they hadn't moved away from D20, and if I thought they'd be willing to have a long-distance staff writer, I'd be all over that. :)

Yeah. it's the relocation requirement that's keeping me out.

RSKennan

Explorer
HellHound said:
It's too bad the pay is so low in the game industry...

$20,000 is livable, in my circumstances. I applied. Of course it helps that my best friend just moved back to that area.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Unfortunately, $20k is not enough when you have a family. Which is why I'm keeping to other industries for my marketing gigs where the pay is 50% to 100% higher.

RSKennan

Explorer
HellHound said:
Unfortunately, $20k is not enough when you have a family. Which is why I'm keeping to other industries for my marketing gigs where the pay is 50% to 100% higher.

I actually do have a family, but my S.O. works in the medical field and makes great money (I'm a stay at home dad), though I get your point. I used to be the main breadwinner, and it's hard. The pay cut for writing was pretty rough at first (down to "working poor" from as much as $1,000 a week when I managed an office and $3,000 a week when I had my fishing boat), but it's worth it to me. I grew up in a tourist trap where money flowed very easily, so I learned not to care too much about it. My philosophy is that life's too short not to do exactly what you want. I believe that as long as I hone my craft, enough money will come eventuallly. Of course all of my eggs aren't in game writing- that way lies madness. :D

Another thing to note is that the payment listed on the site is the starting pay. I tend to look at those things as if they are intended as a barrier.

Remove ads