• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FFG to publish Warhammer and Dark Heresy RPGs

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Furtive Noise said:
That's great news, I heard Dark Heresy sold well and it would be a shame not to see such a rich universe expanded. In a related question, are there any threads on EN World about Dark Heresy? Anyone played it / have quibbles with certain rules? I'm strongly leaning toward buying the main rulebook as most of my RPG friends also play 40k, but the few reviews I've read mostly reference the Warhammer RPG which I'm not familiar with. Any of the supplement books worth picking up?

I got a chance to try it the other night, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'd recommend picking it up if you're a fan of the setting.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Furtive Noise said:
That's great news, I heard Dark Heresy sold well and it would be a shame not to see such a rich universe expanded. In a related question, are there any threads on EN World about Dark Heresy? Anyone played it / have quibbles with certain rules? I'm strongly leaning toward buying the main rulebook as most of my RPG friends also play 40k, but the few reviews I've read mostly reference the Warhammer RPG which I'm not familiar with. Any of the supplement books worth picking up?

I have it, a two year-old, and a full-time career.

So I can't really give you an in depth review. What I've read so far is freakin' awesome though. I'd love the chance to play it (and the spare time to do so).

--G

Gothmog

First Post
YES! This is great news. The thought of BI being gone and no more WHFRP or Dark Heresy had me really bummed. I'm glad to see FFG get the licenses- they do incredible jobs with their board games, Grimm, and Midnight. I only hope and pray to the God-Emperor that they do NOT go the d20 route for the WHFRP and WH40K games. I can't see that they would though, considering they say they are expanding the lines for those games, and keeping existing books in print.

Furtive Noise said:

Its a percentile-based system, somewhat like the BRP system, but with more "fiddly bits" attached to it for character customization. Upon reading the system, some things look a little hard to grasp (degrees of success for example), but in play its a very fast and dynamic system, very intuitive, and a great system to play. The system is designed for a fairly gritty level of play, not supermen- so its a different experience than d20 entirely. I find the system much more fun and easier to play than any d20 game, and its a breeze to prep for. I'd definitely buy Dark Hersy- its one of the most impressive RPG books I've ever seen, and has a ton of great material in it. So far, the DH main book is the only one out, but there are 3 more scheduled for later this year.

scourger

Explorer
I'm glad the line is to be continued. I hope FFG will develop the 2 planned 40KRP games: the rogue trader one and the space marine one.

DH is a good book. I just finished reading it. I find the system improved by a couple of tweaks over WFRP. It is dark, grim & gritty; so it isn't for everyone. I'm not sure it will ultimately be for me. I've got 4 free adventures, though: the preview, a download, one with the GM screen, and the one in the book; so I may have to give it a try.

I bought a second copy when it looked like it would get scarce and I thought I would need it for players. Not sure I'll keep copy 2, but copy 1 is a keeper. It really helped me understand all the stuff I've read in all those novels, too.

Sigurd

First Post
Good on FFG!

Rather than being disappointed that GR didn't get it I'm very greatfull the FFG stepped up to the plate! They have made some great books in the past.

I'm very curious to see what the do with it and what writers they hire.

Sigurd

Furtive Noise

First Post
Sounds great, I definitely need to pick up a copy of the main rules. I'm getting a little burnt out on my high-level D&D games, so a fast and loose gritty game seems promising. How are the adventures in the side-products, worth picking up or any side rules you'd deem extremely useful within? I have half-formed plans in my head for investigators infiltrating a genestealer cult (and possibly playing off it and a chaos cult against one another) in some hive city, but sometimes its nice to have something laid out already for a new system.

Mamacat

First Post
Damn...ffg is a badly run company, and the RPGs they produce are just dropped when they believe they've squeezed as much as possible out of them. Plus the fact everyone I've ever dealt with at ffg has been nasty. Green Ronin is a superior company in every way, and I wish they had been able to pick this up. I love GR stuff, and they are a pleasure to deal with.

Well, we'll have the main books from BI, and probably stop there. I refuse to give ffg any of my money. Maybe I'll find the new books used later on - although ffg's books have a bad habit of falling apart rather quickly.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mamacat said:
Damn...ffg is a badly run company, and the RPGs they produce are just dropped when they believe they've squeezed as much as possible out of them. Plus the fact everyone I've ever dealt with at ffg has been nasty. Green Ronin is a superior company in every way, and I wish they had been able to pick this up. I love GR stuff, and they are a pleasure to deal with.

To be fair, though, Chris seems to have a pretty good opinion of Fantasy Flight Games, and I've had good products from them before, so I'm giving benefit of the doubt myself. (I've never really heard anything bad about FFG before, though -- this is news to me.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads