[FG&G] For Gold & Glory: 2nd Edition Fantasy Role-Playing Game

Aurumvorax

First Post
Hey! Nose back to grindstone, you!

:lol:

EDIT: Edit your "legal" to include what is OGC and what is PI. I want to use "For Gold &Glory: 2nd Edition Fantasy Ruleset Copyright 2009-2010, Justen M. Brown."!

The next update will add the creative commons license so people can reproduce and modify the rules freely. The next update should be this Monday when my website goes live and it will contain the completed Encounters chapter and Hirelings and Henchmen chapter. From there, my last (and most time extensive) tasks will be writing spells, monsters, and treasure.

Fantastic idea. Kudos!

Some time ago (a year or two, perhaps. . .?) I was commenting on the lack of a 2e retro-clone. And so were a whole bunch of other posters, I might add. One was, I think, musing on the idea of making one.

Anyway, it's great to see it being done. And, from what I can tell, competently at that. :)

edit --- I'd also be very curious to see how kits (et al) can be - or are going to be? - integrated into the RCFG system.

I think it was that topic which spurred the project. I remember seeing OSRIC for the first time and saying "Does this exist for 2e?"

A lot of people tried or at least began but nothing ever came of it. It probably would have been easier to simply create a modification of OSRIC but again my main motivation for this is to see a big honking book sitting on my desk.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Will you be adding the half-orc back as a player race? I know it wasn't in the 2nd edition PHB but was included in later supplements (Skills & Powers and The Complete Book of Humanoids). The same goes for the Monk and Assassin classes (they were added in The Scarlet Brotherhood book).

Since you're cloning AD&D 2nd edition, but doing some things slightly differently, it would be great to see these added since their omission from core 2nd edition was not a change for the better.

Thanks for your efforts... it looks great so far.

Aurumvorax

First Post
Will you be adding the half-orc back as a player race? I know it wasn't in the 2nd edition PHB but was included in later supplements (Skills & Powers and The Complete Book of Humanoids). The same goes for the Monk and Assassin classes (they were added in The Scarlet Brotherhood book).

Since you're cloning AD&D 2nd edition, but doing some things slightly differently, it would be great to see these added since their omission from core 2nd edition was not a change for the better.

Thanks for your efforts... it looks great so far.

Not in the core system; that's what the optional rules documents will be for. Book of humanoids half-orc will be easy to convert but I'll have to look over the options books carefully as their races could be customized with the whole points system. What will likely happen is I'll just provide the default layout.

February 02, 2010: The "official" website has gone up here. I'll continue to update forum posts but go there for cool things like homebrew rules, previews, art, reviews, musings, and adventures.

Hirelings and Henchmen and Encounters have been updated effectively finishing the PHB and DMG minus spells and treasure. I'll be working on spells first (with a quota of 2 spell levels a day) and probably bust out all the treasure charts in a day. Monsters will be a slower affair as I want to keep their fluff but it will require me rewriting it. Remember, the website will contain updates faster than I can check all the internet forum posts so it wouldn't hurt you to subscribe to the RSS feed.

Pat

First Post
The next update will add the creative commons license so people can reproduce and modify the rules freely.
I've been following your thread over at DF. Glad you decided to keep the For Gold and Glory name.

But was this a typo? Doing away with the OGL would be difficult.

Aurumvorax

First Post
I've been following your thread over at DF. Glad you decided to keep the For Gold and Glory name.

But was this a typo? Doing away with the OGL would be difficult.

From what I understand, both licenses can apply. The CC license allows people to reproduce and modify the work online. Nothing in the documents is PI.

I've been sick all weekend and got nothing done. Cracking the whip this week.

Pat

First Post
Hope you feel better.
From what I understand, both licenses can apply. The CC license allows people to reproduce and modify the work online. Nothing in the documents is PI.
I'm no expert, but I don't believe so. PI isn't the issue. The reason most authors of retro-clones use the OGL isn't to copy rules or even chunks of text, but to allow the use of unique D&Disms. This includes names of monsters and spells like bulettes and creeping doom, and maybe even terms like armor class. Products that eschew the OGL have to creatively rename or even reimagine everything. Mayfair Games' stuff replaced "1st level" with "skill 1" and Fight On! changes "AC" to "DC" -- and both of these examples are just obliquely referring to the core rules. Actually replacing the material in the core books is more difficult. That's why Mutant Future went even further, because even under a different name an anthropomorphic bunny with an assault rifle and the ability to turn metal into rubber is still a hoop. So Goblinoid Games elected to create an entirely new world, inspired by the original but with few of the specific elements that made Gamma World unique.

There's a whole forum on EN World dedicated to the topic, however. They're probably better informed than I.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The CC license allows people to reproduce and modify the work online.

The OGL already allows this. Just declare X portions of your work Open Game Content* and, under the OGL, anybody can then reproduce and/or modify X. Further, you cannot add a CC license in conjunction with the OGL per Section 2 of the OGL:

OGL Version 1.0a said:
No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.

This includes other licenses like the CC, which have their own terms and conditions. That said, you don't need a CC license, for the reasons mentioned above. The idea that the OGL does not permit one to reuse or modify content that is released under it is often promulgated by CC supporters, but it has no basis in fact. The OGL is, in point of fact, much less restricted than many iterations of CC license.

*In fact, if you distribute Open Game Content, denoting which portions of a work released under the OGL are Open Game Content is a requirement of the OGL. See Section 8: Identity for details.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So how is this progressing so far? With the upcoming release of the Myth & Magic 2E retroclone, I'm curious how this one is faring.

Remove ads