Fiendish Lords?

Lord Zack

Explorer
Zuggtmoy will be appearing in my Greyhawk campaign if I ever get enough players and appearances by other demon lords, particularly Lloth, but maybe others as well, may also be in the cards. As for my present campaign Baphomet and Yeenoghu have already had some influence, for one my players just defeated a Baphomet worshiping goblin tribe and will soon be facing the minotaur that ruled the tribe. Also a barbarian tribe that is one PC's enemies worships Yeenoghu. But as for whether they'll have a larger influence or even appearances later on I'm not sure.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
My players went to the 9 Hells in my homebrew campaign as penance from their patron deities for making a deal with a devil (a servent of Mephistopholes). They were to fight their way to a pit fiend and slay him.

The party was demolishing the early waves but were in despair because they could see an army amassing around them, but the Devils offered them a (second) deal: single combat vs. a pit fiend in a glorious arena battle.

Bel was the pit fiend they choose, and he quickly demolished the party (after barely saving against a Harm spell).

Moral of the story: Never bargain with a devil.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Ever play the computer game Dungeon Keeper - in the game you played a "Dungeon Heart" that gathered creatures to it, during this process, it expanded the dungeon to grow in power. As it power increased, it could transport monster to other parts of the dungeon, slap them about if they were lazy and take over their bodies to walk around and for combat. At end point in the game the heart could summon a major demon.

I took this idea and used different fiendish lords as that demon. Players would have to shut down and kill the "heart" and end up facing one.

Runestar

First Post
Yes and no.

It requires too much work to create a custom plot leading up to their appearance, IMO, but they have excellent stats for their cr, so I have use reskinned versions of the demon lords in place of regular monsters.

I realised the frost-giant-guy makes a very viable alternative to the titan. I have also used their aspects as "hero" versions of regular monsters. The aspect of kulmurtak is an excellent spellcaster for its cr! :D

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
My current FR4E campaign includes the machinations of both Dagon and Demogorgon in the heroic tier, but that's also because it is loosely based on the Savage Tide adventure path.

My next campaign, which will also be FR4E, will be set in the Moonshae Isles and included Graz'zt as the ultimate BBEG. His aspects will also be making an appearance along the way (basically, each tier is probably going to end with a battle with Graz'zt in one form or another).

I think this will be the first time I have used fiendish lords since 1E. As I've always DMed in FR since the latter days of 1E, I've always been able to find several evil deities to fill any particular niche that comes up.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
It's interesting to see folks using the fiendish lords; that's great!

Another question: Do your lords have personalities beyond "personification of evil?" How do you choose to use one lord over another?

Remove ads