• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Symbionts - Fiendish Familiar?

Magic Rub

First Post
Can you have a Familiar per the familiar rules in the PHB & at the same time have a Symbiont, specifically a "Fiendish Familiar" (under Fiendish Symbionts in the fiend folio). Is the Fiendish Symbiont - "Fiendish Familiar" a familiar by name only, thus allowing a PC to have one of these parasites as well as PHB style familiar (or improved familiar).

IMO - Yes a PC/NPC should be allowed to have both. Symbionts, regardless of type (ie; the Fiendish Familiar) are not familiars at all, but parasites, with both benefits & drawbacks. Additionally, IMO, Wizards of the coast would have made note of the conflict (if there was one), & noted rules for using symbionts as familiars.

Magic Rub

First Post
[bump] Or am I the only person with a Fiend Folio?[/bump]

Hell I'll settle for opinions if no one has a by the book answer.

Maybe I should have made this a poll?
- YES - A caster with a familiar may also have a symboint
- NO - A caster with a familiar may not have symboint
(Please detail why your choice is what it is.)

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I know how frustrating it is to have a question, and have no one express any interest.

I don't have the Fiend Folio, and without reading the entry I couldn't say whether it filled the familiar "slot" or not.

Sorry.

Magic Rub

First Post
Thanks! Don't be sorry. I'm just happy someone finaly posted. At this rate in a year or two I might actually have some opinions.

Remove ads