Fiend's Embrace - IC Thread

Land Outcast

Explorer
As the others enter the room, the tiefling hears their steps behind him, at the door. Playing the guessing game about who they are by the sound of their footsteps.

Once they are all sitted he surveys each one, rising an eye at the mechanical bird. Finally his gaze sets on Arakk.

-

Magic cloak? that isn't something you see every day

Idivien's eyes glitter... maybe because of he fire, maybe because of interest.

Hearing the dwarf ask the most necessary question in a crude way, first one thing is left for Idivien to ask, maybe more if the answer isn't as complete as he hopes.

"What wass thiss place... Cold Sstoness Keep before it became abandoned?...I assume it iss abandoned"

Rayex

First Post
Gnro - Lizard Favoured Soul

Thinking that this keep might hold a shrine, the possibility remote as it is, she decides to accept the task.

"I will go, sir...."

Malvoisin

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
"Well," Harval says, stroking his beard, mentally counting how far to go until his weregild debt is repaid, "'at depends on what 'fair market value' might mean."
Voadam said:
Aeligim's attention is caught by the name of the target item "What is the Fiend's Embrace reputed to do?"
Still smiling, Arakk answers, "Excellent questions, both, and the answer to the first depends on the second." Turning first to Aeligim, he says, "To be frank, I have no idea. Rumors say that the cloak was fashioned by a demon prince from the hide of a pit fiend, and offered as a gift to his lover. Zarlag's notes indicate only that it is powerful, but no further details are offered."

"As to what it's worth..." Arakk now returns his attention to Harval, "that all depends on what it does. Clearly, if the cloak is in Cold Stones Keep, and you return with it, it will need to be independently appraised of its powers and valued accordingly. I will pay your group the full value of the cloak, once its powers have been determined."

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
"And where did you find this lot?"
Arakk laughs. "This lot? Why, the same way I found you, good sir. Good advertising! Ruined keeps, inhospitable swamps, peril to be faced, treasure to be won... Adventurers always come calling for this sort of business, it's in their blood. The very fact that you all sit here before me is proof of that."

Land Outcast said:
Idivien asks, "What wass thiss place... Cold Sstoness Keep before it became abandoned?...I assume it iss abandoned"
Arakk shrugs, "Who knows, a remnant of some lost empire perhaps? I haven't seen anything in Zarlag's writings to answer that question. But, yes, it does seem that the keep is abandoned. Or, at least, it was when Zarlag visited it years ago...although his exploration was not exactly what one might call thorough."

Rayex said:
Thinking that this keep might hold a shrine, the possibility remote as it is, Gnro decides to accept the task.

"I will go, sir...."
"Excellent! Our first willing soul! This young lady..." Arakk's voice trails off and his eyes narrow as he leans forward to peer more carefully at Gnro's hooded face. "Hmm...there are no Wolf Nomads in this room, perhaps you might consider lowering your hood? If these others are to be your travelling companions, it won't do to try to keep a secret such as this. You are safe here."

Voadam

Legend
"A demonically made pit fiend hide cloak. That has the potential to be a fell thing of great power. You have a reputation as a collector of obscure and rare objects who pays well for their acquisition. I am in as well. Tell me, what do you do with your collection? Do you have other objects of similar natures?"

Land Outcast

Explorer
"The price will be fair? then I'm in too."

A Demon Prince's cloak... I hope he doesn't take it as bad as my previous fencer took it, me keeping the findings for future greater profit

Last edited:

Rayex

First Post
Gnro - Lizard Favoured Soul

Long seconds pass by before her hands slowly lift to her cowl. Even more times goes by before she dares to remove the cowl on her cloak.

Looking shyly down on her feet, the youg lizardfolk priestess faintly whispers. "I.... I am Gnro... pleased to meet you...."

Voadam

Legend
Aeligim feels that the niceties of learning about the other expedition members, mammalian or not, can wait. For now his attention is focused on Arakk, and his responses.

Malvoisin

First Post
Voadam said:
"A demonically made pit fiend hide cloak. That has the potential to be a fell thing of great power. You have a reputation as a collector of obscure and rare objects who pays well for their acquisition. I am in as well. Tell me, what do you do with your collection? Do you have other objects of similar natures?"

Arakk says, "I do have quite a large number of rare items on display at my home in the Free City of Greyhawk. I found Zarlag's map and notes, in fact, when I purchased an antique desk from his estate. Few of the items in my collection have any magic associated with them, though. I certainly don't have anything like Fiend's Embrace, it would likely be the crown jewel of my collection."

Land Outcast said:
"The price will be fair? then I'm in too."

Arakk smiles and replies earnestly, "The price will most assuredly be fair. That makes three."

Turning to Ortak, the collector asks, "And you, sir?"

Ortak answers simply with a nod. "Yes, you have my interest as well. I will go on this expedition."

Rayex said:
Long seconds pass by before her hands slowly lift to her cowl. Even more times goes by before she dares to remove the cowl on her cloak.

Looking shyly down on her feet, the youg lizardfolk priestess faintly whispers. "I.... I am Gnro... pleased to meet you...."

"Pleased to meet you as well, Gnro! Yes, I suppose introductions are in order all around, aren't they? If you're going to be travelling companions on a dangerous journey, you ought to know one another's names, I should think!" Arakk makes a sweeping gesture with his hands as he speaks, then rises. "Excuse me a moment, I need to refill my glass."

As he walks to the table with the refreshments Arakk calls over his shoulder to Harval, "And what of you, good dwarf? Are you up for this quest?"

Last edited:

Remove ads